Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Newbie Question: Sort Axis

Eintopf

Contributor

Feb 17, 2017

Hello there,

I am new to this programm and also to this community. I hope te question is in the right section.

I have a simple chart. First collum are names, like x1, x2, o1, o2, y1, y2, z1, z2

Second collum are values like: 1, 4, 2, 5, 2, 4, 3, 6,

When I draw a graph for this value, the order for the X-axis is o1, o2, x1, x2, y1, y2, z1, z2.

Where can I find the option to make the order like in the first collum?

Thanks and greetings,

11 REPLIES
txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

You can do one of 2 things. 

1.  Go to the column header for the column that has the x1, x2, o1, o2.  Rt click on the header and select

Column Properties==>Value Ordering

Specify the order you want the values to be

2. If the data are in your data table in the order you want them to be displayed, you can Rt Click on the header, and select

Column Properties==>Row Order Levels

This will order the axis in question based upon the order the values are found in the data table

Jim
Eintopf

Contributor

Feb 17, 2017

Thanks for the fast answer. I have the German version, so i have to tranlate it a little. So far I just can chose between one of the following options in the raw order menu:

Datatype: numerical / sign / column properties / expression

Scale type: ordinal / numerical / multipe answer / unstructured text / nothing

But the only result is no change at all or a deleted column

txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

You apparently selected Col Info(English), Spalteninfo(German).  What needs to be done to do the Value Ordering(english) you need to right mouse click on the column header(Sex in my example) and then select

Spaltenneigenschaften==>Wertereihenfolge

Geman Value Ordering.PNG

and then you will get this screen which will allow you to change the order of how the values should be displayed

german set order.PNG

Jim
Eintopf

Contributor

Feb 17, 2017

I found the same menu. If i take your example, I would like to have the same sort order of the column "name". Tho I have to many entries, it would be too much work to sort them all

If I would copy your example, the column "name" would go from A to Z, when I transfer them to a graph.

txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

The other option is to use Kaegorien in Aeilenreihenfolge(Row Order Levels), if the order of your data is in the order that you want displayed on the graph, then by setting this, the values will be displayed in that order.

Die andere Option ist, Kaegorien in Aeilenreihenfolge (Row Order Levels), zu verwenden, wenn die Bestellung Ihrer Daten in der Reihenfolge, dass Sie auf das Diagramm angezeigt, dann durch diese Einstellung die Werte in dieser Reihenfolge angezeigt werden werden.

Jim
Eintopf

Contributor

Feb 17, 2017

No, I cant find this option in the menu.

txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

What version of JMP are you using?  The Deutsch version that I am taking my examples from is 12.2.  However, the same options are availble in 13.1.  Here is the image of the option selection and the option window from my Deutsch version

german 3.PNG

german 4.PNG

Jim
Eintopf

Contributor

Feb 17, 2017

Well, I switched forward and backwards some options and it does work out sometimes. But it is still not logical or easy to understand at all. i just added an additional column and made the number from 1 ongoing. After that I transfer the graphic to photoshop and change the names. Takes a lot mor time, but still less, than finding a solution for the problem.

chris_kirchberg

May 28, 2014

A quick question, where (which menu selection) are you drawing the graph and how? That may help understand the possible options and maybe why the value ordering column property may not be working as expected.