Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

New to JMP

dgoff0

New Contributor

Oct 2, 2016

Good Morning,

I am new to JMP as part of a course here in Alaska.  I am not sure what I may be asking in the future as far as tips, tricks, and suggestions, i appreciate any help I may get.

Thank you in advance!

Dan Goff

9 REPLIES
Craige_Hales

Staff

Mar 21, 2013

Welcome aboard!

Craige
stan_koprowski

Community Manager

Aug 8, 2012

Hi,

Welcome to the JMP family.

Check out the Welcome Kit which will provide you with a learning roadmap to help you get up to speed quickly while learning the basics of JMP.

Cheers!

Stan

Medicc

Community Trekker

Mar 29, 2016

The useful link!

txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

Dan,

Glad to have you on board.

JMP comes with lots of documents, help with examples, tutorials and sample data table and scripts.  And in addition, this Discussion Forum and the JMP Support Help Desk.

And I look forward to the contributions you will bring from your own personal area(s) of expertise.

Jim

Jim
dgoff0

New Contributor

Oct 2, 2016

Thank you for the warm welcome.  I have completed the new user road map, and have my second class tomorrow night.  It will be an interesting adjustment given I have become so familiar and comfortable with Excel!

Kindest Regards,

Dan

msharp

Super User

Jul 28, 2015

While it makes sense to compare Excel and JMP from a new comers perspective, it doesn't make much sense from an experienced perspective.  They really fill very different roles.  I would say don't worry, you'll still find use cases to make the most of Excel so becoming familiar and comfortable in it is still a good thing.  However, once you learn JMP, you'll realize how many very difficult tasks in Excel become cake walks in JMP.

Welcome to the community!

Peter_Bartell

Jun 5, 2014

To pile onto msharp's contribution, whenever I work with new JMP users I tell them there are three rules they should always keep in mind:

1. JMP is not Excel.

2. JMP is NOT Excel.

3. JMP IS NOT EXCEL.

Whenever you find yourself getting 'frustrated' with JMP because it won't do something 'just like I can in Excel'...remember these three rules.

There are many ways to integrate Excel based data and operations into the JMP architecture...but the two products have very different 'raison d'etre'.

dlee0416

Community Trekker

Jun 11, 2014

Amen to that Br. Bartell!

txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

And I will use a twist on a quote from The Lloyd Benson, Dan Qualye debate from a few years ago

I know JMP, and Excel, you are not JMP!

Jim