Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

New jmp User-question about data analysis

DET

Established Member

Dec 7, 2016

I have an experiment where I have placed the same treatments on two different shelves; the placement on the shelves is not an independent treatment, but rather a space constraint.

I do not want to treat the data from the treatments the same way because I expect there to be variability due to being on different shelves which may have different conditions.

How can I go about analyzing the data in a way that would account for this variable? Would it be a crossed effect? Or should I analyze the treatments separately going forward?

Thanks in advance for the any help or suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
markbailey

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

Solution

Do you think that the difference between the shelves is a fixed effect (reproducible) or a random effect?

If the treatments were randomly assigned to the shelves, then the shelves act as a block. It is just a matter of determining if the block is a fixed or random effect.

If the placement of the treatments was not random, then they might be treated as whole plots.

I'm guess it is the former case.

Learn it once, use it forever!
1 REPLY
markbailey

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

Solution

Do you think that the difference between the shelves is a fixed effect (reproducible) or a random effect?

If the treatments were randomly assigned to the shelves, then the shelves act as a block. It is just a matter of determining if the block is a fixed or random effect.

If the placement of the treatments was not random, then they might be treated as whole plots.

I'm guess it is the former case.

Learn it once, use it forever!