Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
PS_Ato
Community Trekker

New HP computer instead of DELL computer (both with WIN 10) -> JSL scripts are not working anymore

After moving to a new computer from HP the JSL scripts produced with a DELL computer do not work anymore. Both machines work with WIN10. The JMP software freezes after script start.

I'am looking for ideas what needs to be checked.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
julian
Staff

Re: New HP computer instead of DELL computer (both with WIN 10) -> JSL scripts are not working anymore

Hi @PS_Ato,

This sounds really frustrating! There's really no reason a jmp script should have trouble on one computer and not another. As a first question, are you running the identical version of JMP, and what version is that? I assume the same major version, but are both machines running the latest minor update as well? Did you have custom preferences set for jmp on the first computer? If so, have you transferred your jmp preferences from your other computer? Importantly, can you give us a sense of what the script is doing? The more details you can provide the better. Some specifics: do you have any references in the script to files/directories? If so, are you sure those files/directories are in the same locations? Are you connecting to any databases in your script? A failure in any of these should not cause a crash, but perhaps there is something unique here that creates some kind of issue. 

@julian 

PS_Ato
Community Trekker

Re: New HP computer instead of DELL computer (both with WIN 10) -> JSL scripts are not working anymore

Hi Julian,
thanks for looking into this.
It is JMP verison 14 on both computers. The computers are connected to the identical network. The file location is the same. It is independent of the user logged to our system.
Exemplarily, I checked the jmp prefrences: they are the same.

I checked other JSL scripts. One script is working, that imports xls data and does some additional operations and graphs.

The kind of JSL script that do not work refer to databases and files, e.g.

// Opening of database for tbox_value ("inspection lot")
If( tbox_value != "",
		sql = Eval Insert(
			"SELECT TRBallShearHSBTTSF.Sample, Test, DateSave, ResGrams AS [Shear Strength (g)], Grade AS [Fracture Mode], ResmJoules AS [Total Energy (mJ)], PrePeakEnergy AS [PrePeakEnergy (mJ)], PostPeakEnergy AS [PostPeakEnergy (mJ)], Speed*0.001 AS [Speed (m/s)], TestTime*1000 AS [TestTime (ms)], User1 AS [Inspection Lot], User2 AS [Customer], User3 AS [Surface Finish], User4 AS [Leg], User5 AS [Aging], User6 AS [Test Substrate], User7 AS [Solder Paste / Flux], User8 AS [Solder Balls], User9 AS [Reflow Profile], User10 AS [Delay Time], Operator, FDTData 
	FROM TRBallShearHSBTTSF INNER JOIN SSBallShearHSBTTSF
	ON TRBallShearHSBTTSF.Sample = SSBallShearHSBTTSF.Sample
	WHERE User1 LIKE '%^tbox_value^%'");
	);

dsn_string = "DBQ=X:\- Assembly\Dage4000\Dage4000HS.mdb;DefaultDir=X:\- Assembly\Dage4000;Driver={Driver do Microsoft Access (*.mdb)};DriverId=281;FIL=MS Access;FILEDSN=X:\- Assembly\Dage4000\Dage4000HS.mdb.dsn;MaxBufferSize=2048;MaxScanRows=8;PageTimeout=5;SafeTransactions=0;Threads=3;UID=admin;UserCommitSync=Yes;";

dt = Open Database(dsn_string, sql, "HSS-Dage 4000");

The script starts promissing with opening a dialog box. But after clicking "okay" - next would be opening the database -  it freezes.

Regards,

Petra

0 Kudos
julian
Staff

Hi @PS_Ato,

I assume both computers have X: mapped to the same network location, and are logged into that remote server with the same credentials (and thus have the same access permissions) so it's not an issue with jmp accessing X:\- Assembly\...  Assuming no problems there, I think perhaps it has something to do with that database connection. If you go to File > Database > Open Table on both machines, do you have the same database connections listed as available? I'm wondering if perhaps the two systems aren't configured in the same way, either in jmp, or in your ODBC Data Source Administrator. Full disclosure, database configuration isn't a specialty of mine so it'll be up to you to tell if something there is configured differently in a way that could matter. 

@julian 

PS_Ato
Community Trekker

Hi Julian,

looking deaper into the database path, I found a JSL-script working fine referring to a 0.1MB database. The JSL-script causing "freezing" refers to a 0.8MB database.

Regards,

Petra

0 Kudos
julian
Staff

That's quite interesting! It could be the size of the database, but that difference seems too minor to really be the case. What else can you find that is different between those two scripts, the one that works, and the one that doesn't?
0 Kudos
PS_Ato
Community Trekker

sorry 130MB versus 870MB

0 Kudos
Highlighted
julian
Staff

That's certainly a bigger difference but doesn't seem like a size that should really be cause for concern. Out of curiosity, how long have you waited before force quitting the frozen jmp instance?

If you can't see any other differences between the script that works and the one that fails (other than the DB size), what I would do next is start to carve away pieces of the script section by section, running at each step (make sure you save before running in case there is a freeze/crash). What I would be trying to do is to find the smallest possible script that can make jmp crash/freeze. This includes simplifying the database calls, assuming that's the final thing you're left with that is causing a problem. Start with what doesn't work, and continue to reduce complexity until it does work. Another approach I often use works in the other direction. Start with the maximal script but comment out everything that could be causing an issue. Slowly add back in components until you find your fail-point.

I'm happy to keep helping on this based on what you find. An alternative is to contact support@jmp.com and work with someone to look over your exact script and situation to determine what's going on. And, you can reference this discussion if you want to give them some context.
PS_Ato
Community Trekker

Thanks for your suggestions.

The script freezes for the new HP computer (two HP computers were tested), when the 870MB database is planned to be opened (all other following parts were erased).

The same new HP computer has no problems to fullfill the script referring to the 130MB database. Both databases are in principle the same (just two different tests -> different column names).

As mentioned before: several Dell computer we use as well can fullfill both scripts (the one referring to the 130MB database and the one referring to the 870MB database).

0 Kudos
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

I think it might be best for you to contact our tech support department: support@jmp.com. They are in a good position to help you look at the ODBC connections and other configurations to figure out what might be going wrong.

-Jeff
0 Kudos