cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
adam
Level IV

N missing values/empty cell

Sometime in my test product data, there are certain test whereby the product is not being tested. When I query from database, the result is empty though the category still appear hence I am getting the dark dot in JMP. Is there any way (beside exclude) whereby I can easily identify and remove those empty cell in every column.

Thank you.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: N missing values/empty cell

What you are seeing is the Missing Value character for numeric columns.  JMP uses this character intentionally. Statistics performed on a column that contains missing values, will automatically exclude those cells from the calculations.

If what you want, is to change the cells from the missing value character, into an empty(Blank) cell, you can do this by using the Column Property, Value Labels.  By adding "." in as a value, and just a single space as the value to display, JMP will change the missing value symbols to blanks

missing value column property.PNG

missing value column property2.PNG

Jim

View solution in original post

uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

@adam
      Try This : 

Clear Globals(); Clear Log(); 

// Open Sample Data 
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );

// Artificially introduce blanks 
SR = dt << Select where(:height == 59) << Get Selected Rows ; 
dt:height[SR,0] = .; 
dt:weight[SR,0] = .; 

// Remove rows with blanks 
dt << Select where(IsMissing(:height)); 
dt << Delete Rows; // Beware that you cannot remove the value for only one column - the entire row will be deleted 

Best

Uday

Best
Uday

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
txnelson
Super User

What you are seeing is the Missing Value character for numeric columns.  JMP uses this character intentionally. Statistics performed on a column that contains missing values, will automatically exclude those cells from the calculations.

If what you want, is to change the cells from the missing value character, into an empty(Blank) cell, you can do this by using the Column Property, Value Labels.  By adding "." in as a value, and just a single space as the value to display, JMP will change the missing value symbols to blanks

missing value column property.PNG

missing value column property2.PNG

Jim
adam
Level IV

My bad, I was thinking that those missing is considered for statistic calculation. Thanks txnelson for answering my question.

uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

@adam
      Try This : 

Clear Globals(); Clear Log(); 

// Open Sample Data 
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );

// Artificially introduce blanks 
SR = dt << Select where(:height == 59) << Get Selected Rows ; 
dt:height[SR,0] = .; 
dt:weight[SR,0] = .; 

// Remove rows with blanks 
dt << Select where(IsMissing(:height)); 
dt << Delete Rows; // Beware that you cannot remove the value for only one column - the entire row will be deleted 

Best

Uday

Best
Uday
adam
Level IV

Thanks Uday, this script helps too :)