Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
Mannion
Level I

Multple file import

Hi JMP users

I'm trying to import multiple files (txt) but only a set number of lines from each file. When using the single file importing option I can choose how many lines down from the start data line I want. When importing multiple files I don't get a choice of how many lines I want to import.

How do I get the lines to read script into the multiple file import script. I've only just started using jmp so still a novice.

Single file import script                                                                                              Multiple file import script

jmp script 1.JPG

jmp script 2.JPG

Any help much appreciated.

cheers

Paul

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Craige_Hales
Staff (Retired)

Re: Multple file import

MFI does not currently support lines-to-read. Great candidate for the JMP wish list.

@audrey_shull 

Craige
Highlighted
andersonmj2
Level IV

Couple of thoughts on possibilities:

Similar to having to script a 'multiple file import' in the past, you might need to use the file import utility embedded in a loop to get your desired effect. In my kludgy attempts this was slower so I abandoned it.

I use MFI at least once per week for a piece of equipment that outputs results in CSV files at one per sample with header, footer and main body of data. Since a full day of collection will result in only ~25000 rows, I just use MFI to get the main data section - but since it also comes along with the extra footer rows I have a chunk of code that identifies and deletes all of that footer info.
Highlighted
txnelson
Super User

I would not characterize the method of using the file import inside an embedded loop quite as harshly as @andersonmj2 intimated. Looping across various file imports is a fairly common methodology, and can be written to be very robust.  I am sure that it will be slower than a platform specifically written to input multiple files, however, the end goal is to get the multiple files read in, and for that, the looping methodology  will work well.

Jim
Highlighted
Mannion
Level I

Cheers Jim
Me being a novice. Do you have an example of a loop I can experiment with?

Paul
Highlighted
Mannion
Level I

Cheers Craige.
I was thinking the same. I've asked our trainer to mention it at the Munich show this year. Maybe they can add it in at some stage.

Paul
Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.