Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Multivariate Tool (any tool really) and Filters

mcstagger

Community Trekker

Oct 6, 2014

I have a dataset in which I want to understand correlations across several variables. Within this data set are numerous user groups in which this analysis needs to be run and I am trying to do so without creating a bunch of data subsets. Is this possible? So far selecting the appropriate cases and running the analysis does so for all cases rather than what is selected.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

Have you investigated the use of the Local Data Filter? Under the red triangle in your platform>Script>Local Data Filter

9181_Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 3.16.07 PM.png

7 REPLIES
pmroz

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

There's usually a "By" variable you can specify for most platforms that will do what you need.

mcstagger

Community Trekker

Oct 6, 2014

I thought about that and I think it would work in cases where I have people predefined into a single variable. My concern is when that is not the case, that is I have not created variable for a group based but want to do something more on the fly.

Also, since you brought up "By", let's say I have a set of data collected among a rep sample of Widget A users. Widget A users were asked to test 1 of 5 different Gadgets. I want to run a similar analysis By Gadget but only among Widget A users that are Male, 18-24 and live in the Northwest.

It seems like just using By right off the bat is not going to work as it would give me the correlations by...

• among Total Sample
  • each Gadget

and, assuming I have a variable where this group is collected

• among Widget A users that are Male, 18-24 and live in the Northwest (though not this group AND by each Gadget)

Does that make sense and am I understanding the capabilities and limitations of "By"?

pmroz

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

I have two suggestions:

1. Create a new column that groups data the way you want it.  Use this new column as your BY variable.  This might be difficult if you have many different ways you want to slice the data

2. Select the desired rows (CTRL-Shift-W brings up SELECT WHERE).  Invert the selection and exclude the rows.  This is easier to do programmatically if you are handy with JSL.

dt = open("$sample_data\Car Physical Data.jmp");

dt << select where(:Country == "USA" & :Type == "Sporty" & :Horsepower > 150)

<< invert row selection << exclude << clear select;

// Analysis goes here...

Solution

Have you investigated the use of the Local Data Filter? Under the red triangle in your platform>Script>Local Data Filter

9181_Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 3.16.07 PM.png

mcstagger

Community Trekker

Oct 6, 2014

That's what I was looking for. Thank you!

pmroz

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

Even better and simpler than what I suggested.  Thanks Lou!

louv

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

There is also a shortcut icon to access the local data filter as well

9182_Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 3.36.28 PM.png