Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
moorea
Level I

Multivariate: MDS help

Hi all, I am trying to recreate an analysis I found as part of a research project. The author states that the performed an non-metric multidimensional scaling with Sorensen distance. The data is life history characteristics (max size, max age, age at maturity, larval size, and fecundity) for bivalves. Using their data I calculated the sorensen dissimilarity matrix in R using the distance function, then analyzed that matrix using the Multidimensional scaling option in JMP Pro 14.  The result I get is this weird circle that I have attached. I also get it when I run my own similar, but larger, dataset. I've also tried running the MDS in R where I get a similar circle/curve. Does anyone know what could be leading to this? The stress seem quite low to me at 0.1 but I don't know if that is unusual. 

I'm new to multivariate analysis so any feedback you have to offer would be helpful.  

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
phil_kay
Staff

Re: Multivariate: MDS help

Hi,
It sounds like your challenge is in understanding the Sorensen distance matrix that you created using R. The JMP Community is probably not the best place for advice on this.
Regards,
Phil
Highlighted
moorea
Level I

Re: Multivariate: MDS help

It was an issue with data transformation. Thanks for the reply 

Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.