cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Tohar
Level I

Multiple regression with dummy variables

How can I select intercept in multiple regression?

I want two lines to cross the Y axis in the (0,100) point.

Thanks

Tohar

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Multiple regression with dummy variables

I assume that you selected Analyze > Fit Model to start the multiple regression. A check box is at the center of the bottom of the launch dialog. Select it to remove the intercept from the model

hogi
Level XI

This post describes how to use the Fit Y-by-X/Bivariate platform with by()  .... to collect the slopes and intercepts:

Creating-columns-from-Linear-Fit-Constants-slope-intercept 

Perhaps more details are needed as I am the third to respond and I have a different take on your question. You said you wanted the lines to go through (0, 100). That is not the same as having the y-intercept of zero. You could use the nonlinear platform to build a model with a fixed y-intercept of 100 and the rest of the linear model to estimate the parameters with that restriction.

Provide a bit more clarity of your situation so that we can better assist you.

Dan Obermiller
hogi
Level XI

Oh, thanks, I miss-read this sentence.
In the Fit Y - by - X / Bivariate Platform there is also an option to set the intercept to a fixed value:
Constrain intercept to

hogi_1-1684906642116.png

hogi_0-1684906555219.png

Tohar
Level I

I'm trying to do a multivariable linear regression. A continuous variable explains -X and a continuous variable is explained -Y and another dummy factor is categorical 0 or 1. I know that the lines should cut the Y-axis at 100 and I want to define this in the model.
 Similar to the solution in the Fit Y by X platform that "hogi" suggested but I have two lines- two groups.
Thank you very much

MRB3855
Super User

@Tohar , so it sounds like you have an ANCOVA model (one categorical factor C, and one continuous X) and you want to regress Y on these.  Define Y100 = Y-100.  then use Y100 as your response. then the only effect in your model will be C*X, with no intercept. See pic below. Also, in the red triangle pull down menu deselect "Center Polynomials". 

MRB3855_0-1684938574310.png

Run this and get the following: And remember Y100 is Y-100. So, when Y100=0, Y=100. You can then get creative with Save Prediction Formula/Graph Builder/etc to get the Y axis back to the raw scale (shift it back up by 100).

MRB3855_1-1684938625005.png

Tohar
Level I

Thank you very much

I am not about the result I got; the lines cross the Y axis in (0,0) - see attached.

My goal is to check if there is a difference in rate (ie slope) between the two treatment groups. It is not necessary to check whether there is a difference in the intercept, I want to set it both in the model and in the presentation graph at (0,100).

Many thanks!!!!!

Tohar

MRB3855
Super User

@Tohar  Assuming your model is correct (I have my doubts from looking at your residual plots etc),  the p-value for the parameter estimate and/or in the ANOVA table tells the story (they are equivalent)  If less than 0.05 (that is the "usual" threshold /Type 1 error rate) then you could claim that there is a difference in slope. Strictly speaking, you are testing whether or not there is any difference from the reduced model Y100=0 (i.e, just noise). The p-value says reject the Y100= 0 model in favor of the two slope model (where slope1 = - slope2). 

MRB3855
Super User

@Tohar . On second thought, use the same model with the interaction (as I said) and Days From Start.(see below). Then assess the equivalence of slopes via the p-value for the interaction parameter estimate. Adding the extra term will give more flexibility wrt the slope estimates (doesn't force slope1 = -slope2).

MRB3855_0-1684954403611.png