cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Steven_Moore
Level VI

More ?'s Regarding Row State Columns

Suppose I have a Row State column in a data table.  I add several rows of new data to the table.  How do I get the criteria used to set up the Row State column to extend to the new rows?

What is the difference between "Add To Row States" and "Copy To Row States"?  They seem to do the same thing to me.

If I highlight several cells in a Row State column and then try to right click, edit, copy, paste several cells, only one cell gets pasted.  What am I missing?

Thanks!

Steve
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: More ?'s Regarding Row State Columns

If you want a Row State column to update automatically as new rows are added, you'll need to use the Formula Editor to create the row states. The Row State Functions will help you.

I'm attaching a version of Big Class that has a couple of Row State columns with formulas to show the technique.

10944_JMPScreenSnapz001.png10945_JMPScreenSnapz002.png

Copy to Row States copies the row states from the column to the active row states. Replacing all existing, active row states.

Add To Row States doesn't replace any non-conflicting states. For example, as I've show in my example you could have one column for colors and another for markers. Add To Row States allows you combine these two.

Here's a video that shows it better than I can say it.

-Jeff

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Jeff_Perkinson

If you want a Row State column to update automatically as new rows are added, you'll need to use the Formula Editor to create the row states. The Row State Functions will help you.

I'm attaching a version of Big Class that has a couple of Row State columns with formulas to show the technique.

10944_JMPScreenSnapz001.png10945_JMPScreenSnapz002.png

Copy to Row States copies the row states from the column to the active row states. Replacing all existing, active row states.

Add To Row States doesn't replace any non-conflicting states. For example, as I've show in my example you could have one column for colors and another for markers. Add To Row States allows you combine these two.

Here's a video that shows it better than I can say it.

-Jeff
Steven_Moore
Level VI

Jeff,

Thanks for your help.  However, I may have found an easier solution to my first question:  Using a local data filter in the script saved to the data table allows me to add rows of data to the table and the new rows are subjected to the same criteria.  Do you see any problem with this approach?

Steve
Jeff_Perkinson

I'm not sure exactly what you're describing, but if it's working for you that's all that matters.

-Jeff

-Jeff