cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Luis180189
Level I

Modifying an excel file from jmp

Hello, 

Is there a way to  modify an existing EXCEL file (a single particular row)  and save it back on the original folder from jmp? 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thank you! 

4 REPLIES 4
cwillden
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Modifying an excel file from jmp

You could import the excel file, modify, and then export back to an xlsx format, but you would lose any Excel-specific functionality in doing so.  This would only work if you had a spreadsheet of just column headers and data with no formulas, special formatting, etc.

-- Cameron Willden
Luis180189
Level I

Im looking for a JSL script that allows me to do this.  

cwillden
Super User (Alumni)

In the spirit of teaching to fish rather than handing out fish, I'm going to point you in the right direction.  First step is to let JMP write the script for you to import the table.  Import one of your excel files manually, using Excel Import Wizard if necessary.  The resulting table will have a script titled "Source" that contains the script to import the Excel file.  It might look something like this:

Open(
	"filename.xlsx",
	Worksheets( "Sheet 1" ),
	Use for all sheets( 1 ),
	Concatenate Worksheets( 0 ),
	Create Concatenation Column( 0 ),
	Worksheet Settings(
		Has Column Headers( 1 ),
		Number of Rows in Headers( 1 ),
		Headers Start on Row( 1 ),
		Data Starts on Row( 2 ),
		Data Starts on Column( 1 ),
		Data Ends on Row( 0 ),
		Data Ends on Column( 0 ),
		Replicated Spanned Rows( 1 ),
		Replicated Spanned Headers( 0 ),
		Suppress Hidden Rows( 1 ),
		Suppress Hidden Columns( 1 ),
		Suppress Empty Columns( 1 ),
		Treat as Hierarchy( 0 ),
		Multiple Series Stack( 0 ),
		Import Cell Colors( 0 ),
		Limit Column Detect( 0 ),
		Column Separator String( "-" )
	)
);

This is the start of your own script.  Copy it over to a script window.  To put a handle on the data table from the imported Excel file,  just put a "<var name> = " before "Open(".

Next, you need to do whatever modification to the table contents.  You can access a specific value in the desired row and column and set the value using something like this:

dt:<colname>[<row number>] = <desired value>

If the column name has any special characters, then use dt:Name("<column name>")[<row number>].

Last, you need to export the results.  There are a few other posts on the community that walk you through saving a JMP table in the .xlsx format. Here's a recent one: https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/Saving-Data-Table-to-Excel-format/td-p/40392

I strongly encourage you to try and put the pieces together on your own.  That's the only way you will become proficient at scripting.  If you do get stuck on any particular part, we're here to help.

-- Cameron Willden
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

If you are using the Window OS and know a little VBscript, you can do this using Run Program.

The attached script uses wscript (as far as I know always on Windows OS). It opens Big Class then saves it as Excel to emulate, an existing Excel workbook.

The simple VBscript changes the value of Row E3 and colors the cell yellow.  This script is using JSL to write the VBscript, however, the script could exist, and just be executed from JMP or numerous other methods.

JMP uses wscript to execute the VBscript that was saved.  This is one option to update a Workbook and not lose the other features of Excel.