Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Measurement System Analysis: How to find out which OP has the biggest varience

xzhao2

Community Trekker

Jan 6, 2016

Similar to the example file "Gasket.jmp", if there are ~1000 Y columns (like Y1, Y2, ..., Y999) and ~400 parts,  how to  find out which operator has the worst performance basing on Y variance ,  maximum Y variation, etc.?   In other words, how to sort the output of Gauge R&R? 

Another question is that, it is a precious instrument.  The variations from part to part, from OP to OP are supposed to be very small.    Is there an easy way to find out outlier?     

Thanks!

Jason

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
markbailey

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

Solution

Only a slight change in my instructions:

• First of all, be sure that the data are stacked so that all of the 1000 responses are in the same column (Y) and another column contains the label (ID item). This arrangement will be automatically created if you start with individual Y columns for each item and use the Tables > Stack command.
  • Select Analyze > QualityVariability Chart.
  • Enter the label column in the By analysis role. This change will produce a separate Variability Chart for each item.
  • Press the Ctrl key for Windows or the Command key for Macintosh and select the analysis from the red triangle menu to produce the report for every item.
  • Now right-click on one of the reports and select Make Into Combined Data Table.
Learn it once, use it forever!
4 REPLIES
markbailey

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

Click on the red triangle at the top and select Variability Summary Report. Next, right-click in the resulting table and select Sort by Column. Select Std Dev and click OK. Now this report is ordered by descending standard deviation so the groups that exhibit the largest variance at near the top.

You can learn more by selecting Help > Books > Quality and Process Methods. There will be a chapter devoted to the Variability Chart platform.

You can learn even more by attending the Measurement System Analysis course that we offer.

xzhao2

Community Trekker

Jan 6, 2016

Hi Markbailey,

Thanks for your reply.   Just updated the question.   What I meant was  ~1000 Y columns (like Y1, Y2,.... , different measurment items)  not ~1000 OP.   

For ~1000 Y columns, there will be ~1000 reports, It is hard to go through each report, sort them, etc.      I just want to a way to find out the biggest variance from these ~1000 reports.     Wait for your reply if you know the answer.  Thanks in advance!

I will take the MSA class for sure. 

Thanks

Jason

markbailey

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

Solution

Only a slight change in my instructions:

• First of all, be sure that the data are stacked so that all of the 1000 responses are in the same column (Y) and another column contains the label (ID item). This arrangement will be automatically created if you start with individual Y columns for each item and use the Tables > Stack command.
  • Select Analyze > QualityVariability Chart.
  • Enter the label column in the By analysis role. This change will produce a separate Variability Chart for each item.
  • Press the Ctrl key for Windows or the Command key for Macintosh and select the analysis from the red triangle menu to produce the report for every item.
  • Now right-click on one of the reports and select Make Into Combined Data Table.
xzhao2

Community Trekker

Jan 6, 2016

It works!.  Thanks!