cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
galactus3000
Level IV

Means Comparison Oneway Analysis ... how to dynamically order side-by-side boxplots by mean value left to right

Looking for an automated way to automatical order side-by-side box plots by mean value left to right ... and by dynamically I mean being able to seamlessly do this on the fly in response to change in Local Data Filter and/or Column Switcher.  Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Means Comparison Oneway Analysis ... how to dynamically order side-by-side boxplots by mean value left to right

@galactus3000,

Which JMP platform are you using Fit Y by X or something else? Off the top of my head, if using Fit Y by X, I would use a custom script to add the data filter and add to it a Data Filter Handler. That is a bit involved.

If you are using Graph Builder to draw your boxplots, you can right click in the X-Axis (group axis) and select which Order by Statistic, default is the mean, and Select which Y variable to order by either ascending or desending.

The script below opens the JMP sample data table SATByYear.jmp and creates a Graph Builder boxplot of SAT Math vs. State with a Local Data Filter for Region.  Now select one or several regions and ordering is updated automatically. Change from descending to ascending.  You can do all of this voa point & click.

I hope this meets your needs.

Names Default to Here(1);
dt = Open("$Sample_data/SATByYear.jmp");

gb = dt << Graph Builder(
	Size( 534, 464 ),
	Show Control Panel( 0 ),
	Variables(
		X( :State, Order By( :SAT Math, Descending, Order Statistic( "Mean" ) ) ),
		Y( :SAT Math )
	),
	Elements( Box Plot( X, Y, Legend( 6 ) ) ),
	Local Data Filter(
		Add Filter(
			columns( :Region ),
			Display( :Region, Size( 160, 120 ), List Display )
		)
	)
);

image.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Means Comparison Oneway Analysis ... how to dynamically order side-by-side boxplots by mean value left to right

@galactus3000,

Which JMP platform are you using Fit Y by X or something else? Off the top of my head, if using Fit Y by X, I would use a custom script to add the data filter and add to it a Data Filter Handler. That is a bit involved.

If you are using Graph Builder to draw your boxplots, you can right click in the X-Axis (group axis) and select which Order by Statistic, default is the mean, and Select which Y variable to order by either ascending or desending.

The script below opens the JMP sample data table SATByYear.jmp and creates a Graph Builder boxplot of SAT Math vs. State with a Local Data Filter for Region.  Now select one or several regions and ordering is updated automatically. Change from descending to ascending.  You can do all of this voa point & click.

I hope this meets your needs.

Names Default to Here(1);
dt = Open("$Sample_data/SATByYear.jmp");

gb = dt << Graph Builder(
	Size( 534, 464 ),
	Show Control Panel( 0 ),
	Variables(
		X( :State, Order By( :SAT Math, Descending, Order Statistic( "Mean" ) ) ),
		Y( :SAT Math )
	),
	Elements( Box Plot( X, Y, Legend( 6 ) ) ),
	Local Data Filter(
		Add Filter(
			columns( :Region ),
			Display( :Region, Size( 160, 120 ), List Display )
		)
	)
);

image.png

galactus3000
Level IV

yes using Fit Y by X just like I was taught in my first-ever JMP-based statistics course in 1997 in Portland Oregon