cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Mac: Unable to copy/paste chart

This should be easy, but I cannot find a way.

How can I copy and paste a chart?

I tried as per the manual:
- click on the Selection Tool (the fat cross)
- selected chart
- Copy

So far so good. Now, when I paste (in Keynote, TextEditor, etc.) all I get is some text form the chart.

Why is something so simple so hard in JMP?

Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
hecht_jmp
Staff

Re: Problem partly solved

DG,

JMP puts different things on the clipboard depending on what you select when you copy. If you just select a graph with the fat plus tool, then you get an image on the clipboard. This image will be placed on the clipboard in several flavors, controlled by your setting in JMP > Preferences > Mac OS Settings. The panel there titled "Alternate Graphics Formats for Clipboard and Drag & Drop" show several available raster formats. The one vector format that is not listed but is always included is PDF. When you paste this into Keynote, you get an image like you want.

However, if you select a graph and some part of the report, then this is no longer just a simple image. Now you are also placing multimedia text on the clipboard. This is placed in RTF format and JMP's internal journal format (a subset of JSL). When you paste this selection into Keynote, it prefers the RTF text and gives you a text box. The RTF includes the charts inline, but Keynote ignores those.

You can see the same behavior with Safari. Go to the JMP home page at http://www.jmp.com/ then right-click or control-click on the image in the lower right that says "Statistical Discovery. From SAS.". Choose "Copy Image" from the pop-up menu, then switch to Keynote and paste it into a slide. You get an image. But if you go back to Safari and choose "Select All" (command-A), copy-and-paste that into Keynote, you get a giant text box with no images.

JMP tries to be standard, but in the world of Copy and Paste, the recipient gets to choose what flavor of the data they want to take off the clipboard. We must put both RTF and an image there so that pasting works for Word too. It's unfortunate that Keynote prefers the RTF but doesn't display the inline images.

We made it a special case that if you just select an image in JMP and copy, you don't get RTF on the clipboard. That is there specifically for Keynote. But it means you need to copy-and-paste the image separate from the text. I'm sorry that it's confusing, but much of what you're experiencing is beyond our control.

Hope this helps!
--Michael

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Mac: Unable to copy/paste chart

This an be really tricky.

JMP charts are made up of concentric layers. Each layer consists of, say, the chart graphic, the borders around the chart, the axis, the enclosure of the axis,... Endless.

Make sure you are using the fat plus tool, and selecting the widest possible area for the chart.

If you have a report you can sav and share, I'll be happy to pock out the pieces and parts that you need. Golden rule : select more than you need, and use a reputable image processing software to process the image. (HINT: Paint and other built-n Windows software kis not reputable. Look for a friend with a Mac. (I am a friend with a Mac)
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

I used to have this problem before. Got text or a low res image instead of the expected vector-based editable image (pdf) when pasting iinto some other applications. I experience that JMP 9 work more consistently with the mac clipboard than JMP 7-8.

My workaround was journal the graphics and print as pdf if e.g. wanted to edit graphs in Illustrator.

Which JMP-version and OS X version do you run?

I'm not doing this on a Mac, but this is how I save images in Windows:

style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: "Courier New"; color: black;">

style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: "Courier New"; color: black;">dt

style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: "Courier New"; color: navy;">=

style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: "Courier New"; color: rgb(0, 0, 221);">Open

style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: "Courier New"; color: black;">(

style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: "Courier New"; color: purple;">"$SAMPLE_DATA/Big
Class.jmp"

)

style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: "Courier New"; color: navy;">;

style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: "Courier New"; color: green;">/*
Run an analysis that creates an
image */

style=""> 

style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: "Courier New"; color: black;">biv

Bivariate(

style="">      
Y(

style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: "Courier New"; color: navy;">:

style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: "Courier New"; color: black;">Height
)

style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: "Courier New"; color: navy;">,

style="">      
X(

style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: "Courier New"; color: navy;">:

style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: "Courier New"; color: black;">Weight
)

style="">      
Fit
Line(
{Confid
Curves Fit(

style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: "Courier New"; color: teal;">1

)

Line Color(

style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: "Courier New"; color: purple;">"Green"

)}

{Set
α
Level(

style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: "Courier New"; color: teal;">0.05

)}
)

style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: "Courier New"; color: black;">)

style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: "Courier New"; color: black;">bivr

biv

style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: "Courier New"; color: navy;"><<

style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: "Courier New"; color: rgb(0, 0, 221);">report

Send it to a
report */

style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: "Courier New"; color: black;">bivr

show tree
structure

Find out where the image actually is in the tree structure */

style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: "Courier New"; color: black;">bivr[picturebox(

)]

save picture(

style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: "Courier New"; color: purple;">"c:\image1.jpg"

)

Save it as an
image somewhere */

style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: "Courier New"; color: black;">bivr[picturebox(

)]

copy picture

Or copy it to
the clipboard to paste it into something else */

style=""> 

Does the above work on a Mac as well?

Incidentally, there's a batch importer wizard available for PowerPoint which can be downloaded from http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00050.htm. I often find myself in a situation where I'm creating and saving several dozen images as JPEGs from JMP automatically, all of which I then want to import into PowerPoint as quickly as possible with the minimum of fuss, and I've found the above wizard speeds up that process no end.

Problem partly solved

Thanks to all who replied.

I think I know what the problem is: Although in JMP 8 you can select all the formats of the data exported to the clipboard (in the Mac OS X settings), it seems that JMP puts these images in the clipboard using some strange format (EMF, enhanced metafile, or WMF, Windows metafile. This is a micro$oft "standard").

Most Mac OS applications (TextEditor, Keynote, etc.) are unable to deal with this data from the clipboard, therefore we get the text when we paste.

However, a few applications are able to correctly see the EMF file:
- PowerPoint (through the "Paste Special..." option only)
- GraphicConverter
- WMF Viewer

Of those, GraphicConverter offers nice options for the format to convert the image into and at what resolution (couldn't find these options in PPT).

Once the image is seen in any of those app, you can simple copy/paste, and THEN you can import it into any Mac OS X application.

So we have to use one of those apps as a glorified clipboard. Kind of kludgy, but it works. And no, none of the other solutions would be good for me: I really want to pick only some of the charts from a JMP jrp window.

Shame on JMP 8 for not using a more standard way to put images in the clipboard. Apparently this is resolved in JMP 9?
hecht_jmp
Staff

DG,

JMP puts different things on the clipboard depending on what you select when you copy. If you just select a graph with the fat plus tool, then you get an image on the clipboard. This image will be placed on the clipboard in several flavors, controlled by your setting in JMP > Preferences > Mac OS Settings. The panel there titled "Alternate Graphics Formats for Clipboard and Drag & Drop" show several available raster formats. The one vector format that is not listed but is always included is PDF. When you paste this into Keynote, you get an image like you want.

However, if you select a graph and some part of the report, then this is no longer just a simple image. Now you are also placing multimedia text on the clipboard. This is placed in RTF format and JMP's internal journal format (a subset of JSL). When you paste this selection into Keynote, it prefers the RTF text and gives you a text box. The RTF includes the charts inline, but Keynote ignores those.

You can see the same behavior with Safari. Go to the JMP home page at http://www.jmp.com/ then right-click or control-click on the image in the lower right that says "Statistical Discovery. From SAS.". Choose "Copy Image" from the pop-up menu, then switch to Keynote and paste it into a slide. You get an image. But if you go back to Safari and choose "Select All" (command-A), copy-and-paste that into Keynote, you get a giant text box with no images.

JMP tries to be standard, but in the world of Copy and Paste, the recipient gets to choose what flavor of the data they want to take off the clipboard. We must put both RTF and an image there so that pasting works for Word too. It's unfortunate that Keynote prefers the RTF but doesn't display the inline images.

We made it a special case that if you just select an image in JMP and copy, you don't get RTF on the clipboard. That is there specifically for Keynote. But it means you need to copy-and-paste the image separate from the text. I'm sorry that it's confusing, but much of what you're experiencing is beyond our control.

Hope this helps!
--Michael

Michael, thanks for taking the time to reply. It helps understand what is going on.

I completely disagree that this is outside of JMP control. I think that JMP here DOES THE WRONG THING. Allow me to make a couple of points:

1. The option of "not putting RTF" in the clipboard when only a bare plot is selected is useless: I need the plot title for the kind of work that I am doing, otherwise I cannot distinguish what that particular plot was about. Having two different behaviors depending on which part of a plot is selected is a poor usability choice IMHO.

2. You "have to include the RTF information because it has to work in Word". I am not sure I understand why that is the case--what would break in word if only the image is passed? Anyway, I think that it is a very weak reason. What I see in a drawing window is an image. When I select an image I expect to be able to copy and paste that image. That's one of the most basic operations. This functionality IMHO takes the precedence over any other.

3. I agree that Keynote should be smarter on how to deal with the clipboard. But this seems the standard way on Mac OS X. A proper Mac app should do what the other Mac apps do.

4. Why isn't the solution to all of this another checkbox in the JMP > Preferences > Mac OS Settings that would allow us to turn off the RTF export??? People like me, who never use Word, would turn it off and everything would work as expected.

And since I have your ear, please: JMP 8 has got to be the only application that REMOVES a selection WHEN THE SCROLL BAR IS MOVED WITH THE MOUSE. To understand why this is so wrong, just try selecting multiple plots in a window that is larger than your screen: You have to slowly scroll with the arrow keys. MADNESS.

This is just one of the many reasons why I am so unhappy with JMP and try to use is as little as possible.

Sorry for the rant.
barikan
Level I

Hi,

I am using JMP 10 on Mac (Snow Leopard). I need my charts to have at least 300 dpi resolution. I understand that on Windows platforms, there is an option to set this value in Settings but this does not seem to be possible on Macs. Any idea how to make sure that the images come out at desired resolution?

Thanks.