Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
dgreen
Level II

Linear mixed models with principal components

Hello, 

I would like to ask two questions.

First, is it common to use linear mixed models with principals components? I checked some examples and found that they are quite limited.

I have the same participants (thousands of people) who experienced different conditions and I wanna see which conditions are more effective on participants behaviour (behaviour is collected as one scale variable). As I have many different conditions (numeric and scale)  I first did correlation analysis to exclude most correlated results and then found principal components to define the factors that are more effective. Now as I have the same participants I use linear mixed models and add participants as random factors. Do the steps make sense?

And, as I have thousands of participants I got a warning from JMP saying "Limit of 46.340 parameters exceeded". I guess random factors are too many to do the analysis but then how can I run this data? Any ideas?

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Linear mixed models with principal components

So participant is not the lowest level of randomization? That is, what is the error (residual) in your model now?

Learn it once, use it forever!
Highlighted
dgreen
Level II

Actually, I believe it is. I select participants' Ids and add it as a random effect (cause they repeated the exercise for different conditions and I have results of same participants for different conditions) and I wanna see the overall picture and understand which condition was harder/easier. 

So, for instance, as you can see in the image, one of the participants tried 6 different conditions, some tried 6 some 4. And I have all of them in the same table. So I thought about doing a mixed model and adding id's (User) as a random effect.

Ekran Alıntısı.JPG

Highlighted

Sounds good - just checking. Common mistake but not in this case.

Learn it once, use it forever!
Highlighted
dgreen
Level II

Good to hear, thanks! 

Any ideas about the error "limit of 46.340 parameters"? Cannot I use all participants as random effect?

Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.