cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ad_
ad_
Level I

Line connecting points through different groups in Graph Builder

Hi all,

I am having some trouble with my scatter plot on Graph builder. I am looking at a variable evolving with time, with several times on different days. I study that variable for three different treatments applied. I am just at the step where I want an overview of my data, so I'm looking essentially at the trends. In one treatment there are different individuals (identified with different colors).

I have plotted the values for different times through the day, with treatment as Y grouping and date as X grouping. What I would like to add is a line connecting not only the points from a same day/same treatment, but across date, to have an evolution in time (eg. Individual A has been measured one time on Monday, three times on Tuesday, two time on Wednesday, I'd like a line linking all these points).
It seems extremely easy, but I have spend so much time trying to group differently the variables, to look for preferences and options ! I am convinced there is an easy way to do that, yet I can't find it. Any idea would be a great help !

Many thanks for your advices,

A.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
rabelardo
Level IV

Re: Line connecting points through different groups in Graph Builder

Hi A.

Could you provide a screenshot of your Graph Builder contents so our helpful JMP experts can better assist you?

(you can rename variables, pixelate or blur the sensitive areas to anonymize, if needed)

Like what Jim Nelson said, the Overlay Grouping Variable drop zone (fig. 1, label # 1) will help you see the trend you want - by factors (based on your setup).

However, you mentioned that:

"...with treatment as Y grouping and date as X grouping." (fig. 1, label # 2).

If you put the date in the Group X drop zone (fig. 1, label # 2), you won't be able to see a trend or use the Line & Overlay option (fig. 3).

Using the Group X drop zone, the mini graphs will be separated and will behave independently of each other - like the scatterplot matrix or R Studio's ggplot facet.

To see the trend (connected lines across dates), you need to put the dates in the X drop zone (fig. 2).

* This is based on my limited knowledge of JMP 12. Please correct if needed.

Hope this helps.

- Randy, JMP newbie

fig. 1

12011_1.png

fig. 2 (Overlay & Line option enabled to show trends - because date is in X drop zone)

12012_2.png

fig. 3 (Trend will not show because Line option is disabled when date is entered in the Group X drop zone)

12013_3.png

- Randy

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
txnelson
Super User

If "Individual" is a separate column, you might get what you want by specifying "Individual" as the "Overlay" variable

Jim
rabelardo
Level IV

Hi A.

Could you provide a screenshot of your Graph Builder contents so our helpful JMP experts can better assist you?

(you can rename variables, pixelate or blur the sensitive areas to anonymize, if needed)

Like what Jim Nelson said, the Overlay Grouping Variable drop zone (fig. 1, label # 1) will help you see the trend you want - by factors (based on your setup).

However, you mentioned that:

"...with treatment as Y grouping and date as X grouping." (fig. 1, label # 2).

If you put the date in the Group X drop zone (fig. 1, label # 2), you won't be able to see a trend or use the Line & Overlay option (fig. 3).

Using the Group X drop zone, the mini graphs will be separated and will behave independently of each other - like the scatterplot matrix or R Studio's ggplot facet.

To see the trend (connected lines across dates), you need to put the dates in the X drop zone (fig. 2).

* This is based on my limited knowledge of JMP 12. Please correct if needed.

Hope this helps.

- Randy, JMP newbie

fig. 1

12011_1.png

fig. 2 (Overlay & Line option enabled to show trends - because date is in X drop zone)

12012_2.png

fig. 3 (Trend will not show because Line option is disabled when date is entered in the Group X drop zone)

12013_3.png

- Randy
ad_
ad_
Level I

Hi all,

Many thanks for your examples;

Indeed with 'date' as grouping variable, every date is like an independent graph and that was my question I guess, so it is not possible to link different graphs together. But for what I need to do, adding 'date' with the different times on the X axis work as well, as long as I want to keep a chronological order.

Thanks again for your help !

A.