cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Line and bar in overlay plot?

I am trying to create an overlay plot that uses a line for the left axis and a bar for the right axis.  I can plot two lines in an overlay but not a line and a bar.  I can plot a line and a bar in a chart (as opposed to the overlay platform), but not get them on seperate y axes- they are both on the left.

For what it's worth, I am trying to do this in JMP 8 and would like to find a scriptable solution that doesn't require JMP9.

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
XanGregg
Staff

You can do it in Graph Builder with JMP 9, but I can't think of a way in JMP 8.

View solution in original post

ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Drag two variables together to Y, drag another variable to X. In contexual menu (right click on Y) pick "Move Right" and select one of the variables. Then it is possible to independently select any graph type for the left and right Y variables.

JSL example:

Open( "$ENGLISH_SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" ) << Graph Builder(

Variables( X( :age ), Y( :height ), Y( :weight, Position( 1 ), Side( "Right" ) ) ),

Elements(

Line( X, Y( 1 ), Summary Statistic( "Mean" ) ),

Bar( X, Y( 2 ), Summary Statistic( "Mean" ) )

)

);

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
XanGregg
Staff

You can do it in Graph Builder with JMP 9, but I can't think of a way in JMP 8.

Thanks.  That was the conclusion I had reached as well.The closest I got was changing one of the Y axes to a "needle" type and increasing the line width to make it look like a bar.

GoodMan
Level III

This is a very useful question in using Graph builder of JMP 9. Also here i often try to plot such graph but have not way. I wonder if Xan could give us more instruction on an example of using JMP 9 graph builder to plot an overlay that uses a line for the left axis and a bar for the right axis?

ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Drag two variables together to Y, drag another variable to X. In contexual menu (right click on Y) pick "Move Right" and select one of the variables. Then it is possible to independently select any graph type for the left and right Y variables.

JSL example:

Open( "$ENGLISH_SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" ) << Graph Builder(

Variables( X( :age ), Y( :height ), Y( :weight, Position( 1 ), Side( "Right" ) ) ),

Elements(

Line( X, Y( 1 ), Summary Statistic( "Mean" ) ),

Bar( X, Y( 2 ), Summary Statistic( "Mean" ) )

)

);

XanGregg
Staff

Thanks to MS for providing an example. It's intentional that the dual-scale feature is somewhat buried. It's just too likely to produce a misleading graph. See

http://www.perceptualedge.com/articles/visual_business_intelligence/dual-scaled_axes.pdf