cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Latin Hypercube Design

Hi, I'm planing a DOE for numerical simulations (CFD simulations).

I'm thinking on using Latin Hypercube Design, for 2 responses and 3 continuous factor.

How should I determine the minimum number of runs? I notice that in the software I can chose  the number of runs and it has an impact on the design diagnostics.

There is an recommendation to determine the number of runs? My simulations are quite computational expensive, so I need to use the minimum number of runs possible to keep the quality of the results.

5 REPLIES 5
statman
Super User

Re: Latin Hypercube Design

Welcome to the community.  You might want to try Jmp's Custom Design Platform (particularly if you have a model in mind):

https://www.jmp.com/support/help/en/16.2/?os=mac&source=application#page/jmp/custom-designs.shtml

I actually don't understand "computationally expensive".  Do you mean the simulation takes a significant amount of computer time to run?

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box

Yes, by computationally expensive I meant that the simulations take quite a long time to run, so it is important to keep the number of runs to a minimum.

You will likely use a general interpolating function like that available in the Gaussian Process platform for JMP. You might start with a small space filling design and see how it fits. If the response changes (relatively) slowly, this data and resulting model might suffice for your prediction purposes. If not, you can use DOE > Augment Design to add more runs to improve the model performance.

Using the augment design, can I use the results of the previous simulations? Or all the runs change?

Augmentation adds runs to the existing design, but in a new data table. Nothing lost! Try it!