cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
tajrida
Level III

Laney P and U charts in JMP

How can I build Laney P and U charts in JMP?

A very common problem when using traditional P and U control charts is false alarms due to overdispersion. David Laney devised P' and U' charts to overcome this problem.

False alarms can be caused by too much variation in process data, or “overdispersion,” especially if you collected your data using large subgroups. The larger your subgroups, the narrower your control limits will be on a traditional P or U chart. This situation creates artificially tight control limits, causing points on a traditional P chart to look like they’re out of control even when they are not.

Alternatively, too little variation, or “underdispersion,” can also be problematic. When underdispersion exists, control limits on a traditional P chart or U chart may be too wide, so data points (or “processes”) you should be concerned about appear to be in control.

Whether your data exhibit overdispersion or underdispersion, a P' or U' chart will help you distinguish true common cause versus special cause variation.

Mohammed Ahmed
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Byron_JMP
Staff

Re: Laney P and U charts in JMP

Tajrida,

As it turns out its pretty easy to do in JMP. The p and u-chart dialogs have an option to change sigma to something other than 3 sigma.

I posted some examples on the file exchage.

Cheers,

Byron

Example p'-prime chart script

JMP Systems Engineer, Health and Life Sciences (Pharma)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Byron_JMP
Staff

Tajrida,

As it turns out its pretty easy to do in JMP. The p and u-chart dialogs have an option to change sigma to something other than 3 sigma.

I posted some examples on the file exchage.

Cheers,

Byron

Example p'-prime chart script

JMP Systems Engineer, Health and Life Sciences (Pharma)

Byron,

Thank you so much!! Eventually the Laney p' in JMP!

Great.

My small contribution to this discussion is a dataset with overdispersion, data source www.istat.it: the number of deaths in railways accidents in Italy in the period 2004-2013.

BR,

Laura