Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
dainius
Level II

Labelling data points in PCA Biplot by a characteristic

Dear all,

is it possible to label the data points in a biplot shown in B by some definite characteristics in JMP? 

I mean, is there an option to label them by sample names from a different column or something, like I did it in A plot myself (in the attached file, in R)? At least by a row line - instead of seeing just a black dot.

Because now I need to press on every point to see which point is which line, and this is not at all convenient.

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
txnelson
Super User

Re: Labelling data points in PCA Biplot by a characteristic

A simple way to do this, is to go to the column in the data table you want to be displayed, and to right click on the column and select "Label/UnLabel". 

pca1.PNG

Then when you hover over, or click on a data point, you will see the label.

pca2.PNG

If you want the labels to become persistent, all you need to do is to select the "Label/UnLabel" option for the rows in the data table you want the labels to be continuously displayed.

pca3.PNG 

pca4.PNG

Jim
dainius
Level II

Can I have this info drawn in the graph though - instead of the black points? 

I would be much more useful to me to see them all at once than to wander on each individual point.

txnelson
Super User

See my addition to my initial response.
Jim
dainius
Level II

Ok, maybe the question was unclear. This is what I would love to see (attached).

My samples are named S1, S2, S3, S4 and so on.

For every point, instead of a point, I would want to see S1, S2 or S3 written instead of a point. 

I have deleted some black points on your plot to show what I actually mean.

I think it makes it much easier to spot the groups of the samples and to get an idea of how are they scattered.

It's kinda a preliminary grouping. Now by an immediate looking I can see that S1 clusters together. Ok, let's investigate this further. Instead of manually pressing on 100 points to see which category they belong to.