cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Keyboard shortcuts

Hi Guys,

I went through the keyboard shortcuts list in the JMP quick reference card but are there any more keyboard tricks out there?

Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Keyboard shortcuts

Hi jmpuseer,

You might also want to look into customizing your keyboard shortcuts or accelerators by going to Edit-->Customize-->Menus and Toolbars. There is a lot you can do with this feature besides changing and defining new keyboard shortcuts. For example, you can define new menu or toolbar items, rearrange menu items, as well as have your shortcuts invoke external JSL scripts or embedded JSL code.

This feature is available only on Windows and Linux. For more details, refer to the JMP User Guide, chapter 10, section "Customizing Menus." All JMP manuals are available in PDF format via the Help-->Books menu.
sfkeydel
Level III

> This feature is available only on Windows and Linux.

Thanks again, SAS.

Sincerely,
John's Macinstosh Project user

Thanks for the info.
BHarris
Level VI

You can assign keyboard shortcuts on the Mac too, it's just a little less intuitive --

1. Go to: Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts -> App Shortcuts.
  2. Then click "+" at the bottom of the right pane, select "JMP 14.app" (or whatever) for application
  3. For "Menu Title", put in the menu you want to assign, e.g. for Select Matching Cells under Rows, enter "Rows->Row Selection->Select Matching Cells"
  4. Click in the Keyboard Shortcut field and type the keyboard shortcut you want to use

The OS will automatically show you the shortcut in the menu now.

When I was doing it, I couldn't find "Show Data Table" in the menus for some reason, but if you click on the "Help" menu and type in a few words into the search box, then down-arrow down through the results, it'll show you where in the menus a command lives.  Pretty cool.

Alfredo
Level III

The setting up of Hot Keys in MacOs it is truly very easy, fast and straightforward. Nevertheless, there is a big setback:

• the ammount of possible combinations is very limited and
  • many of them will interfere with other applications or even the MacOS.

By fortune there is Keyboard Maestro

Cheers,

BHarris
Level VI

This isn't a Mac-specific problem -- there are always limits on the number of possible combinations with only a few modifier keys.  

My sense is that there are more keys open on the Mac than on Windows, given that the Mac has ctrl, option, cmd but the Windows key on Windows is weird, and alt does a lot of system-level stuff on Windows.

Alfredo
Level III

I think there are many John Mac Users who cannot understand why some features exist only for certain OS...