Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
SophieCuvillier
Level III

Keep column customised order after concatenation with other columns

Hello,

I have attached a JMP table to reproduce my problem. In my example, I have 3 columns:

• Column 1: takes the values 'A', 'B', 'C'. I've customized the order of the values so that if I sort it's not A> B> C but B>C>A.
  • Column 2: takes values 1,2,3,4. No custom order
    Column 3: Is the concatenation of Column 1 || Column 2 . But if I sort, it will be in alphabetical order and won't take into account the custom order of column 1, which is what I'd like.

Is there an option for it to take this into account? I could do a custom order for column 3 again, but I wanted to know if there was anything simpler...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Keep column customised order after concatenation with other columns

I am not sure this exactly meets your needs, but the Value Order rder of your Column 3 can be set based upon the Row Order of your data.  To illustrate what I am attempting to show, do the following to your data table

1. Go to     Tables=>Sort and sort the data by Column 2,Column 1txnelson_0-1711713033687.png

As can be seen, the Column 3 is in the order based upon the Value Order of Column 2

2. Click on OK to reorder the data
  3. Now select Column 3 and right click on the header and select Column Properties=>Value order.  A message box should come up and ask about alphanumeric ordering, just click on No
  4. At this point, one could move the Custom Order values around to meet the order you have specified, however that could be real tedious.  But a simple trick can be used to have JMP do that for you.
    1. If you Uncheck the Custome Order box and check the Row Order Levels boxtxnelson_1-1711713825036.png

The Value Order will change to the order of Column 3 in the data table.

2. So now, if you set the check boxes back to Custom Order checked and Row Order Levels unchecked, the Custome Order is now set to the order found in the data tabletxnelson_0-1711714512196.png

3. Click on OK and when you sort on Column 3 it will sort as you specified
Jim

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
txnelson
Super User

I am not sure this exactly meets your needs, but the Value Order rder of your Column 3 can be set based upon the Row Order of your data.  To illustrate what I am attempting to show, do the following to your data table

1. Go to     Tables=>Sort and sort the data by Column 2,Column 1txnelson_0-1711713033687.png

As can be seen, the Column 3 is in the order based upon the Value Order of Column 2

2. Click on OK to reorder the data
  3. Now select Column 3 and right click on the header and select Column Properties=>Value order.  A message box should come up and ask about alphanumeric ordering, just click on No
  4. At this point, one could move the Custom Order values around to meet the order you have specified, however that could be real tedious.  But a simple trick can be used to have JMP do that for you.
    1. If you Uncheck the Custome Order box and check the Row Order Levels boxtxnelson_1-1711713825036.png

The Value Order will change to the order of Column 3 in the data table.

2. So now, if you set the check boxes back to Custom Order checked and Row Order Levels unchecked, the Custome Order is now set to the order found in the data tabletxnelson_0-1711714512196.png

3. Click on OK and when you sort on Column 3 it will sort as you specified
Jim
SophieCuvillier
Level III

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of tip I was looking for!!! I'd done the method where I manually specified the customer order but it was really time-consuming