cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
ENTHU
Level IV

Joining tables with different column lengths

Hi,

I have 2 tables say A and B. Table has a number columns including name.Table A has 10 names.Table B is a referencelist which has 1000 names and corresponding ages. Is there a way to join the 2 tables so that the new joined table has only 10 names from Table A and respective ages from Table B?

when I tried this , got an error saying columns do not match.

TIA 

4 REPLIES 4
txnelson
Super User

Re: Joining tables with different column lengths

Tables==>Join

will do exactly this.  Just select the columns you want to match on, and then select to "Include non-matches" for the main table(your table with 10 names).  The resulting table will have only your 10 names.

join.PNG

Jim
ENTHU
Level IV

This works! Thanks for the quick reply.

But the joined table now has 2 columns named as age.Is there a way to retain only one?

txnelson
Super User

If you look at my last response, you will see that one of the selections I made on the Dialog for the Join Platform, is called "Merge same name columns".  This will match names.

If you open up the Tables==>Join dialog, you can click on the "Help" button and it will display information about all of the selections and settings availabel to the platform.  You need to familiarize yourself with the Help environment.  It is a very quick and easy way to learn all about any of the platforms.

Jim
ENTHU
Level IV

Thanks. I had made right selections.But the problem was one table had column name Age and another age.