Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

JSL question - Generate dynamic overlay plots

tf

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

Hi,

I'm almost completely new to JSL, so excuse me if my question appears trivial...

Anyway, I am dealing with a data table that contains processed spectroscopic data, with each line corresponding to one specific spectroscopic XY dataset that are each located in separate .txt files. Now, I want to dynamically generate overlay plots of the raw datasets corresponding to the currently selected cells/rows.

For example, I select rows 2 and 3 and the script opens both corresponding .txt files, updates them into a new temporary data table and generates the overlay plot with the 2 data series. Next time I select rows 6 to 9, and of course now the resulting overlay plot should contain 4 series of data.

My script to do all this works fine up to the point of actually generating the overlay plots in a dynamic fashion.

Simplified, generating the plot looks like this:

Overlay Plot(

X( :Name( "cm-1" ) ),

Y(

parse(plot1),

parse(plot2),

parse(plot3)

),

Connect Points( 1 ),

Show Points( 0 ),

);

With the variables plot1 etc. corresponding to columns in the temporary data table. However, the amount of data series is fixed in this example (3) - and that's where I'm stuck. Can I somehow make that dynamic? So basically have the script change the amount of Y's depending on the number of selected cells/rows?

e.g. Y(parse(plot1)) if there's only one, Y(parse(plot1),parse(plot2),parse(plot3),parse(plot4)) if there is 4?

The plot# variables are already being generated dynamically based on the amount of selected rows. So all I need really is a way to dynamically have the number of entries in the Y() expression correspond to the number of selected rows.

Any help would be highly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

Use a list of Y columns: Y(list) or Y(eval(list)). For example:

dt = Current Data Table(); // Temp data table

n1 = 2; // number of originally selected rows

n2 = N Col( dt ); // total number of cols in dt

Overlay Plot(

Y( (dt << get column names)[n2 - n1 + 1 :: n2] )

// List of Y columns, assuming they are at end of Temp table

);

2 REPLIES
Solution

Use a list of Y columns: Y(list) or Y(eval(list)). For example:

dt = Current Data Table(); // Temp data table

n1 = 2; // number of originally selected rows

n2 = N Col( dt ); // total number of cols in dt

Overlay Plot(

Y( (dt << get column names)[n2 - n1 + 1 :: n2] )

// List of Y columns, assuming they are at end of Temp table

);

tf

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

Wow that was fast! It works, great!

Thanks a lot, it is appreciated!

cheers!