cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
elizperez
Level II

JSL: Select Where with variable for column name

Hi I'm trying to use select where to count the number of rows which meet criteria in 2 columns using a for loop. In the beginning of my script (not shown) I use a dialog to let the user choose 2 columns and this ends up in a list (collist). I then use an associative array on each to determine the unique values per column. A second dialog allows the user to choose a subset of those unique values per column which ends up in another list (poschosen). The problem I'm struggling with is inserting the columns from collist into the select where function. I've tried a bunch of different attempts at eval, expr, eval expr, parse, etc. to try to insert them appropriately but I just can't seem to find the correct way. I'm hoping someone has advice.

Here is my code adapted for the Sample Data: Children's Popularity. I'd like to replace the values (line 14) School and Goals to be collist[1] and collist[2] respectively. Thank you for your help in advance Elizabeth

dattable=Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Children's Popularity.jmp" );

poschosen={"Ridge","Sand","main","stop","Popular","Grades","stop"};

stoppos={4,7}; //determine the position of the separator "stop"

Test1pos=subtract(stoppos[1],1); //determine the # of school column values chosen

Test2posStart=add(stoppos[1],1); //determine where in the list the Goals column values start

collist={"School", "Goals"};

sumpositives=0;

For (i = 1, i <= Test1pos, i++, //loop through the chosen school column values

For(f=Test2posStart, f<stoppos[2],f++, //loop through the chosen Goals column values

dattable<<select where(School==poschosen & Goals==Poschosen);

num_selected=nrows(dattable<<get selected rows); //count the rows selected

sumpositives=sumpositives+num_selected; //add the current selection count to previous count

print(sumpositives); //should be 56 in this example

); //end of inner for loop

); //end of outer for loop

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
elizperez
Level II

Re: JSL: Select Where with variable for column name

Nevermind I just figured it out (of course right after I post the question, doh)... line 14 works when I do this:

dattable<<select where(as column(dattable,collist[1])==poschosen & as column(dattable,collist[2])==Poschosen);

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
elizperez
Level II

Nevermind I just figured it out (of course right after I post the question, doh)... line 14 works when I do this:

dattable<<select where(as column(dattable,collist[1])==poschosen & as column(dattable,collist[2])==Poschosen);

kwtorek0
Level I

I've been trying forever to figure this one out, finally found this thread. Thank you!