cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
drblove
Level III

JSL - Inverse Probability Distribution

First off, thank you to everyone who is answer my myraid of questions... I am very greatful for your time.

I am trying to calculate an inverse of a normal distribution, like:

Z = Normal Inverse(p,mu,sigma);

I can only really find:

1 - p = Normal Distribution(Z, mu, sigma);

I know it must be available, but my googling skills are not helping me here...  I am also assuming that other common distributions are available

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
drblove
Level III

Re: JSL - Inverse Probability Distribution

Ok after more Googling I found the solution for this:

Z = Normal Quantile (p,mu,sigma);

It looks like this type of answer works for other distributions as well...  Hope this helps some one going forward.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
drblove
Level III

Ok after more Googling I found the solution for this:

Z = Normal Quantile (p,mu,sigma);

It looks like this type of answer works for other distributions as well...  Hope this helps some one going forward.

Glad you got what you needed. In general, there is a very well-developed and mature support system for users. If you can see it, even if you don't know what it is, select the Help tool (Tools menu) and then click on it. If you know what it is, then search for it in the Help system. For scripting and functions, first go to the Help > Scripting Index. Click the button in the upper left and select Functions. The left-most list of function groups gives you a way to get 'in the neighborhood.' In your case, the Probability group has what you want. Select the group and then the second list populates with the functions. Select a function and the right side gives you proper syntax, a live example (run it!) and a button for detailed help if the index is not enough.

Also, you can hover over a functio a name in a script window for a quick review of syntax and purpose. Sweet.