Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

JSL Help counting valid entries

jswislar

Contributor

Nov 17, 2016

I have a dataset where sites reported data monthly, or they were supposed to. So, some sites didn't submit data for some months. I'd like to count up the number of valid reports by site to see if compliant sites differed from non-compliant sites. The data are in long format, such that...

SITE    REPORT    MONTH    DATA

A          ABC           June          10

A          ABC           JULY         .

A          ABC           Aug           3

A          XYZ           June          .

A          XYZ           June          15

B          ABC           June          6

B          ABC           June          2

etc

I'd like to end up with a data so I can say that Site A 2 valid ABC measures, and 1 valid XYZ measure, and then take those numbers and compare them to Site B.

Thanks

4 REPLIES
txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

Run 

Tables==>Summary

Group on Site and Report.  Select Data and the analysis column and select "N" as the statistic.

Jim
jswislar

Contributor

Nov 17, 2016

Thank you, but this solution only gives me the number of potential data points, not the number of valid entries. For example, there were 15 opportunities for Site C to submit data for Report X (15 rows per site). Site C submitted 3 of 15 reports. The Summary Table solution you offered gave me Site C=15. It should be Site C=3.

txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

If you subgroup on Site, it will create a new column for each value of Site.  You then can create a new column which is the Delta for Site A and Site B

Jim
jswislar

Contributor

Nov 17, 2016

This gives me the same thing as the first solution (# of potential data points), but in a very large data table.
However, If I take your first solution and add the Data variable as the third grouping variable I still get an enormous table, but I do get a count of missing reports. I can work backwards from there. Thanks.