cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

JSL: How do I Group Columns with JSL?

Hello community:

One can group columns by selecting them in the columns window and choosing "Group columns" in the context menu. Is there a JSL statement doing the same thing? I found nothing in the operators index or scripting guide.

Thanks,
Dahla

14 REPLIES 14

Re: JSL: Group columns

Thanks, ChungWei!

This statement helps making my code shorter.

Dahla

Message was edited by: Dahla
Jon_Weisz
Staff

Hello, I am a SAS employee and thought I would help with the questions of "How do you know the "group columns()" statement?". I can think of two good ways to find the JSL command to group columns or perform other actions.
1. Look under help->Books->JSL Scripting Guide, then in the pdf file search for Group Columns.
2. If you look in JMP under the help->Indexes->Object Scripting menu, you can then select Data Table Cols. This will then show all the messages that the column object can take. Group Columns is one of the messages shown.
mpb
mpb
Level VII

Thanks for these excellent tips. In this case though, my 8.0.1 JSL Scripting Guide pdf docs show nothing for "Group Columns". The Object Scripting Guide does list Group Columns as a message to be sent but does not elaborate on the syntax needed to make it work. Are you using a later version?

Searching the Scripting Guide is the first thing I normally do if I look for a JSL statement. If "Group Columns" was explained there, this topic wouldn't exist. As for the Object Scripting Index, I have the same question as mpb concerning the syntax.

Thanks for your help,
Dahla
mpb
mpb
Level VII

I did submit an item to JMP support regarding the lack of documentation for Group Columns. According to their reply, this is intended be remedied in the 8.0.2 release.