Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

JMP7 Resize dialog boxes

I've had a number of cases where I put long strings in dialog boxes / list boxes in dialog boxes and the text is cut off. I know there is a way to set dimensions in the new window() function but I can't seem to resize a dialog box. Any ideas?
7 REPLIES
mpb

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

In JMP 8.0.2 the following works for both Edit Number and Edit Text fields. In JMP 7.0.1 it only works for Edit Text fields. The argument for Width is in pixels.

Is there a way to do this with a List Box? I've tried the width(200) and nothing. Does it work with List boxes in any version of JMP?
It ought to be working - try running the following:

I'm sorry let me clarify. I'm trying to resize a list box within a dialog() function not a new window() function. Resizing in new window() works just fine.
My apologies - no, I don't think that can be done, unless anyone else knows a way. ListBox within a Dialog function seems to take only one argument, i.e. the name of the list. If I try to add a second argument, the box just displays the name of the list plus the name of the second argument. Also I can't see a way to assign a property to the ListBox, as the first time it is referenced would be within the Dialog box itself - and the script stops at that point until the dialog is answered.

Could you cheat by making the title a very long one like this?

names = {"AAA", "BBB", "CCC", "DDD", "EEE"};

t = dialog("Select Names with a Very Long Title Like This One", vlist(
selection = ListBox(names)
));
I guess I'll have to write a function that takes in the title and adds whitespace to the end to stretch the dialog box. Too bad though it would be nice if the width() option worked in dialog boxes
Actually, even that might not work - I've just spotted that in my own example the width of the box isn't actually changing: even with a short title the width seems to remain the same.