Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

JMP reports: Annotation

adamrowe

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

A fairly simple one but can anyone please tell me how I can ensure the annotations I have placed on a plot in a report can remain in place when reopening the file.

Currently report is saved with annotation but on reopening all annotations is lost.
7 REPLIES
Hello Adam,

This is a known bug that has been fixed for the future release 9.0 of JMP.

As a workaround, you can journal your report (containing the annotation), or create a journal of your graph or report, then add in the annotation. Now if you save the JMP journal then the annotation(s) are saved to that file.

To create or append a report to a journal, use the menu Edit-->Journal or use the keyboard short cut command CTRL+J.
sfkeydel

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

With all due respect, I have to say that I'm a bit stunned that fixing this kind of a bug would be relegated to a future version release, rather than a point release. New versions are for new features, not for fixing sloppiness in current releases.

Not good.
Agreed, they should man up and give the user the functionality that is supposed to be available.
Jeff_Perkinson

Community Manager

Jun 23, 2011

I agree and wish that we could do everything we wanted in a maintenance release.

Unfortunately, the reality is that some changes are more involved than we can take on in a maintenance cycle. These changes may involve lots of new code or changes that may have unknown side effects.

In these cases, there's not always enough testing time to ensure that we've done it right.

Rest assured that in our maintenance releases we do everything we can to make JMP even better.

Thanks for holding our feet to the fire.

Jeff
-Jeff
adamrowe

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

Thanks for the help...

When is V9 due to be released? It feels like we have only just received V8 at our place...
Jeff_Perkinson

Community Manager

Jun 23, 2011

JMP 9 will be coming out in the second half of next year.

Jeff
-Jeff
btvs

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

Just beware, if you annotate on your journal and then try to save the journal as a Word doc (.rtf or .doc) your format will be totally messed up and it will try to make the entire journal one tiny picture on one page of your file and you won't be able to read anything. I was told this was another "known bug." I have been using JMP since version 3 and I think it was broken around version 5 and still hasn't been fixed!