cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
atlas100
Level III

JMP needs ODBC Driver to Open Excel Files

I just upgraded to JMP 11 yesterday. I cannot open Excel files. Doing a Google search I figured out I needed an ODBC driver. I have tried the actual technologies driver, to no avail. the OpenLink website is very confusing. They offer multiple drivers depending on what database you need to get access to. I don't know if Excel is an access database, MySQL, SQL Server or what. I am running JMP on a Mac. If anyone can offer help I would greatly appreciate it!

4 REPLIES 4
markfisher
Level II

Re: JMP needs ODBC Driver to Open Excel Files

Open your ODBC administrator (can be found in your control panel under Administrative Tools, or simply run odbcad32.exe).  Under the User DSN tab, click "add", select the Microsoft Excel driver, the click Finish.  You should be good to go after that.

atlas100
Level III

Thanks for your suggestion. However, I am on a Macintosh.

ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Is it .xls or .xlsx? I have not tried JMP 11 yet, but I would be surprised if the ability to directly open "old" excel files is gone. If your file is a .xlsx try to save it as .xls (Excel 97-2004 format).

To open an .xlsx file you probably need an ODBC-driver. Regarding ODBC drivers for Mac I think that it's the one for Access that has the best chance to work with Excel. Years ago I tried their trial version and managed to retrieve data from an Access table. It's read only though.

atlas100
Level III

Saving as .xls worked. Thanks.