cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
natalie_
Level V

JMP adding characters to string?

Hi all,

I had some code that extracted some numbers into variables, and then I put them together in a string.

xlocation = dt1:Die_X[x];          

ylocation = dt1:Die_Y[x];

site = dt1:Site[x];

deviceName = "x="||char(xlocation)||" y="||char(ylocation)||" Site"||char(site);

It would output something like this:  x= 8 y=2 Site2

But now it outputs this:  x=[8] y=[2] Site[2]

I am not sure what I changed.  The columns in the data table where I am extracting the variables are Numeric columns. 

Does anyone have any ideas why this might be happening?  Also, I am having trouble finding an example of how to use the remove from character function.

Something like this?  xlocation = Remove From(xlocation, [)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
pmroz
Super User

Re: JMP adding characters to string?

What's the value of x?  It seems that it's a list or matrix of numbers, which is then returning a matrix back to xlocation, ylocation and site.

Might have to insert logic to test x.  If it's a matrix extract the first value and use that.

a = [1];

b = char(a);

print(b);

"[1]"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
pmroz
Super User

What's the value of x?  It seems that it's a list or matrix of numbers, which is then returning a matrix back to xlocation, ylocation and site.

Might have to insert logic to test x.  If it's a matrix extract the first value and use that.

a = [1];

b = char(a);

print(b);

"[1]"

Craige_Hales
Super User

Is the column a JMP 12 expression column holding a matrix?

Here's a debugging idea that might shed some insight.  The type() function will tell you the data type of the value in a JSL variable.

x=42;

show(x,type(x),char(x));

x=[3.14];

show(x,type(x),char(x));

x = 42;

Type(x) = "Number";

Char(x) = "42";

x = [3.14];

Type(x) = "Matrix";

Char(x) = "[3.14]";

Craige
natalie_
Level V

Thanks PMroz and Craige,

It was a matrix.  No idea why it suddenly changed to a matrix though.