Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
Aleeta
Level II

JMP Text Export with extra quotation marks

Having issues with some Text Export settings not being accessible from JMP 12.2.0  it is adding extra quotation marks on stings when exporting to a text file and I cannot figure out how to get rid of them.  The Text Export Preferences for "Add quotation marks to all character values" is not there at all and I cannot access it via JSL either as far as I can tell:

Preference(
	Export Settings(
		End Of Line( CRLF ),
		End Of Field( Comma, CSV( 1 ) ),
		Export Table Headers( 0 ),
		Quote all column names( 0 ),
		Quote all character values( 0 ),
		Quote all numeric values( 0 )
	)
);

using this gives me an error that "quote all column names" is invalid.

Is this a known issue or am I missing something?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Craige_Hales
Staff (Retired)

Re: JMP Text Export with extra quotation marks

I'm not sure when the options were added; I'll guess JMP 13. The options will make JMP use quotation marks, even if not needed. The options will not make JMP leave out quotation marks that are needed. Fields that contain commas or quotation marks or newlines need quotation marks.

I'm not sure if there is any way to specify the options other than through the preference dialog.

What does the troublesome data look like (in the JMP table, and then in the CSV), and what program is having trouble reading it?

Craige
Highlighted
Aleeta
Level II

So the JMP table looks correct like picture 1 and then resulting .txt file looks like picture 2, which since these are HTML tags, the extra quotes are causing it to not read correctly into the browser.

Highlighted
Craige_Hales
Staff (Retired)

CSV export may not be the best tool for this job. It sounds like you have a column of HTML tags that you want to concatenate into a single string that a browser can read. Try something like this:

// sample table
dt = New Table( "Imported Data",
	New Column( "html",
		Character,
		"Nominal",
		Set Values(
			{"<!DOCTYPE html>", "<html>", "<body>", "", "<h1>\!"First\!" Heading</h1>", "", "<p>\!"First\!" paragraph</p>",
			"<p>\!"Second\!" paragraph</p>", "", "</body>", "</html>"}
		)
	)
);
// get the column in a { list }
htmlList = dt:html << Get Values;
// make a single string from the list
htmlString = Concat Items(htmlList);
// save the string to a.html file
htmlFile = Save Text File("$temp/deleteme.html", htmlString);
// open the file in the default browser
Open(htmlFile);
Craige
Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.