Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

JMP Documentation Formats

sheila_loring

May 27, 2014

Hi, I'm the manager of technical documentation at JMP. We offer documentation in several formats, among them print books and e-books (Kindle and EPUB).

I have some questions for you:

1. How many of you buy the JMP print books?

2. Now that you know about them, would you buy the e-books? e-books are like PDF files but they provide some interactive features.

3. Which do you use the most -- the ? help, Help > JMP Help menu, or PDF files?

We always strive to provide users with the best help options, so I'm really curious about your opinions.

Thanks,

Sheila

11 REPLIES
Ted

Community Trekker

Mar 29, 2016

I use more help, than pdf (perhaps, because stuck at JMP ver.10)

sheila_loring

May 27, 2014

Thanks, Ted.

pmroz

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

I don't buy the hardcopy books because everything's there in PDF format

Don't think I would buy the ebooks because of the free PDFs.  

The option that I use the most is the scripting index.  Mainly because i do a lot of scripting.

sheila_loring

May 27, 2014

Thanks for responding, Peter. Glad you find the Scripting Index helpful. I use it every day.

txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

I find the Scripting Guide a tool that was very important during my initial learning of JSL.  Having it in PDF format was quite sufficient.  I do not maintain a separate tablet for my e reading.  I am in the Windows environment, and my e reading is done from a Windows tablet, which also allows me to have a complete version of JMP, from which I have access to the Scripting Guide PDF.

That said, what I find most important, is the Scripting Index.  And within the index, the examples are extremely important.  Being able to interactively run the example and to mouse over the variables in the examples, etc. is something an e-book just can't provide.

Thirdly, from my activities on the Discusson Forum, just getting new users to read any documentation would be helpful.  From that, I hope an e-book would open the door to a new branch of users who embrace e-books.

Jim
sheila_loring

May 27, 2014

Jim, just curious, why do you choose PDF versus the HTML help that's in JMP?
txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

Because it is what is the default on my system.  No other reason.

Jim
sheila_loring

May 27, 2014

What do you mean by "the default"? HTML help is available using the question mark tool or through the Help > JMP Help menu. There's no way to make PDF files the default help that opens.
txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

I guess I misinterpreted your question.  I was thinking of

Help==>Books

I do use the "?" tool when analyzing data, however in my consulting work, I am mainly writing JSL, not analyzing data.

Jim