Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

JMP 9 Help

JMP 9 is a crazy window machine. It always creates a new window no matter you are opening a table or plotting a chart. If I open 20 data table at the same time, there are over 20 windows which will sweep out other application on desktop.

How to change back to JMP7/8 window docking style?

8 REPLIES
pmroz

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

Yuer,

There is no going back to the JMP 7/8 MDI windows style.  A few tips to make your life easier:

• Make sure the following preference is set: Windows Specific > Show on the Windows task bar: All windows.  This will list all of your JMP windows in the taskbar.

• Use CTRL-TAB to navigate between different JMP windows.

• Use the JMP Home window to manage your windows and navigate between them.

Regards,

Peter

Thanks Peter.

I have to back to JMP 8.

djhanson

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

This drives me crazy, too (JMP 9.0.2).  I was hoping that JMP9 Preferences > Windows Specific > Main JMP window only would keep all of the JMP charts and tables, well, in one window.  But what it does in JMP9 is spread all of the data table windows across the task bar which is really confusing to say the least (Win XP).  Users in my group will be confused knowing which window to select (JMP8 they only had one clean, window).  I did read the JMP9 help associated with this and it doesn't make sense to me.  Does anyone know if there is a way to display your session in one task bar window in JMP9?   thx... dj

pmroz

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

DJ - you have to do more multi-tasking .  What I mean is, the more applications you have open, the more likely XP will collapse all of the JMP 9 taskbar entries into one.  There will be a number next to it indicating how many JMP windows there are.  Here's a screen shot:

1196_JMP Taskbar.png

djhanson

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

That could be...I will say that I do like the new multiple window approach for debugging, it makes it a lot easier.  But I do wish there was an option to make them all in one window like JMP8.  I can say I haven't yet tested it in Win7, so I don't know, maybe it behaves differently there.   thx... dj

9 is crap. it's the pain to handle multiple widnows. It should give users a clean and simple interface.

I have told my group back to JMP 8. 

mewing

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

While you are of course entitled to your opinion, I wouldn't call 9 crap.  It's different, and depending on your interface it may be inferior, but I have multiple monitors that I use and being able to have portions of the same instance of JMP open in both is incredible.  Also, being able to manage the individual windows through the taskbar instead of JMPs Window menu is nice (when I'm going back and forth between programs I don't have to pull up a screen filling window of JMP 8 and then find the window I want, I can go straight to it).

I can appreciate being given the option for the interface (like how R does it - there I prefer the SDI to the MDI), but it doesn't mean that the current option is 'crap'.

David_Burnham

Super User

Jul 13, 2011

On the JMP Home Window, the Window menu has options "Minimize All" and "Restore All" which may help you adjust to the new style.

-Dave