BookmarkSubscribe
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
cwillden
Super User

JMP 14 Users: I need help testing for a bug!

Hey Everyone,

I'm currently working with JMP Tech Support on a bug I found that is impacting one of my applications in JMP 14, but does not occur in JMP 13.  So far, the good folks at JMP have not been able to reproduce the error, so I want to get a couple data points from other JMP users to see if it is a unique issue to my machine.  What I'm hoping for a few of you to do is to run a minimum working example I created, following the steps I will describe below, and report if you see the error or not.

Bug Description: A table box in an application contains a column with a String Col Edit Box, and next to that is a Number Col Edit Box.  When entering in a value in a String Col Edit Box that is longer than the column width, and then hitting Tab, the column width is updated based on the string you entered, and you tab over to the Number Col Edit Box column.  However, the label of the Number Col Edit Box is changed to the first value in that column.

Here's what it looks like.

Step 1.  Open MWE.jmpapp

Img1.PNG

Step 2. Type in "Temperature" into the first row in place of "X1" and press Tab to move to the next column.

Img2.PNG

3. The column Factor should resize, but I am also seeing the name "Low" changed to "-1".

Img3.PNG

At JMP, they are not seeing the name change to -1.  So far, I've been able to determine that this does not happen in JMP 13, it does not happen when you make this same dialog using something like this (as opposed to Application Builder, which is where this MWE and the original app were built):

New Window("Test",
   TableBox(
       StringColEditBox("Factor", {"X1", "X2"}), 
       NumberColEditBox("Low", {-1, -1})
   )
);

Also, it doesn't happen if you resize the window first.

If you could be so kind as to run the attached JMP app and follow the same steps exactly, please let me know if you see the bug on your machine.  Also, if you can tell me which OS you're using, that would be helpful.  I'm on Windows 10 by the way.

Thanks!

-- Cameron Willden
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: JMP 14 Users: I need help testing for a bug!

With a variation on the JSL, this issue can be reproduced outside of Application Builder:

New Window("Test",
   TableBox(
       nc = NumberColEditBox("", {})
   )
);
nc << Set Heading("test");
nc << Set({-1,-1});

The fact that the column is empty at creation time is the difference - the column is keeping track of whether there are any editable rows, and it is not updating correctly as rows are added.  We are working on a fix for a future release - thanks for the report.

cwillden
Super User

To follow up on Dan's explanation, Wendy Murphrey also sent me a workaround until this is corrected in the next release.  I just hought I would post it here for anyone else encountering the same issue:

"The only possible workaround would be to edit the .jmpappsource file and change the launch parameters in the Allocate() section, shown below, such that the NumberColEditBox is created with initial values. If the file is changed and saved from within Application Builder, the file will have to be hand-edited again."

Allocate(
	Table1 = Table Box();
	StringEditCol1 = String Col Edit Box( "", {} );
	NumberEditCol1 = Number Col Edit Box( "", {} );
)

In my case with the MWE, I would do this:

Allocate(
	Table1 = Table Box();
	StringEditCol1 = String Col Edit Box( "Factor", {"X1", "X2"} );
	NumberEditCol1 = Number Col Edit Box( "Low", {-1, -1} );
)

-- Cameron Willden
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
txnelson
Super User

I do not see the error you are describing.  I am running 14.1 on a Windows 10, 64bit system.  However, what I did observe is that there is different tabbing behavior in the script vs. the application.  When I tab in the script, the cursor moved to the first row cell for the Low column.  When I tab in the application, the cursor moves to somewhere before the column name for the Factor column.  For when I tab for a second time, the cursor shows up highlighting the column name "Factor".

Jim
cwillden
Super User

That's a really interesting observation, Jim.  When I tab in either version, it goes directly to the adjacent cell in Low.  Wendy, who's helping me out on the Tech Support side, also observed the tabbing is different on her end.  First Tab resizes the Factor column, second moves to the adjacent cell.  Sounds exactly like what you saw.  You would think the tabbing behavior would be the same regardless of whether the table was made in App Builder or by script.

-- Cameron Willden
0 Kudos
pmroz
Super User

I tried it using JMP 14.1 64-bit on my Windows 7 machine.  Did not see the bug, but when I hit tab the focus did not change to the first row in the Low column.  I hit tab a second time and landed on the Factor heading.  Tab a third time landed me on Temperature, tab a fourth time put me on the -1 in the Low column.

With a variation on the JSL, this issue can be reproduced outside of Application Builder:

New Window("Test",
   TableBox(
       nc = NumberColEditBox("", {})
   )
);
nc << Set Heading("test");
nc << Set({-1,-1});

The fact that the column is empty at creation time is the difference - the column is keeping track of whether there are any editable rows, and it is not updating correctly as rows are added.  We are working on a fix for a future release - thanks for the report.

cwillden
Super User

Thanks Dan!

-- Cameron Willden
0 Kudos
gzmorgan0
Super User

This is just an FYI regarding tab behavior.  My experience is the same as Jim's. It seems the tab resizes the table and the cursor is somewhere [just above the Table box?] and TAB, moves to the first column header ("Factor"), then to row1, column 1, then TAB moves right.

Try this. Using the application, after typing in temperature and before selecting tab, pull out the window so it is large enough to see the full name (the cursor is still after "e" in cell 1,1), then press TAB and it will move right.

So the TAB behavior has something to do with auto sizing or redrawing the module window. 

0 Kudos
cwillden
Super User

To follow up on Dan's explanation, Wendy Murphrey also sent me a workaround until this is corrected in the next release.  I just hought I would post it here for anyone else encountering the same issue:

"The only possible workaround would be to edit the .jmpappsource file and change the launch parameters in the Allocate() section, shown below, such that the NumberColEditBox is created with initial values. If the file is changed and saved from within Application Builder, the file will have to be hand-edited again."

Allocate(
	Table1 = Table Box();
	StringEditCol1 = String Col Edit Box( "", {} );
	NumberEditCol1 = Number Col Edit Box( "", {} );
)

In my case with the MWE, I would do this:

Allocate(
	Table1 = Table Box();
	StringEditCol1 = String Col Edit Box( "Factor", {"X1", "X2"} );
	NumberEditCol1 = Number Col Edit Box( "Low", {-1, -1} );
)

-- Cameron Willden