Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

JMP 13 Variability Charts - Changes impacting automation

tluck

New Contributor

Jan 31, 2017

I have been using Excel VBA to drive the creation of JMP Variability Charts through automation for a while now.  Things worked great up through JMP 12.x.  When JMP 13 came along, there was the well noted issue with the X-axis not displaying properly.  That issue has since been resolved with JMP 13.1, as far as I understand.  Anyway, my issue is a bit different than that one (which I only mentioned so that readers wouldn't assume I was raising the same question again).

My issue:  The charts I am generating have the X-axis broken up by date, lot, and sub-lot.  In JMP 12.x, the labels (dates, lots, etc) would rotate perpendicular to the X-axis and be displayed completely (as desired).  In JMP 13.x, the labels are sometimes parallel, and sometimes perpendicular.  I can't figure out any rhyme or reason why it choses one over the other.  When it does chose parallel, the label does not print if there is not enough room, leaving me with unlabeled data, and confused users of my charts.

If I were making these charts interactively, I could use a few mouse clicks to rotate the X-axis labels (control over date, lot and sub-lot labels are independent).  But I'm heavily invested in generating these charts through external automation, so I'm looking for a way force rotate the X-axis labels through automation.

When going from JMP 12.x to 13.x it appears that the X-axis on Variability Charts changed from being a "NomAxisBox" (or a set of them if there are multiple columns assigned to the X grouping) to being an "AxisBox" (and just one "AxisBox" even if multiple columns are assigned).

The automation documentation still discusses Variability Charts as though it is a NomAxisBox.  In trying various VBA code, I was able to get the handle for the X-axis by assuming it is an AxisBox, and I think I was even able to force rotate the labels for the sub-lot grouping of the X-axis (this is the grouping closest to the axis in my case).  However, I cannot figure out how to force rotate the labels for the date and lot groupings, and those are the ones that I most need rotated.  I attempted getting handles of sub-graphic items (using GetSubgraphicItemByType method) but was unsuccessful (not sure if that's because it's not possible, or because I just don't know how).

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or insights.

4 REPLIES
tonya_mauldin0

Jan 21, 2015

I'm not sure how to help you with Axis Boxes.  Perhaps someone else on the board can help with that.

I did want to let you know that in 13.2 (which is not yet released), these axes will once again be NomAxis Boxes and should work like they did in 12.2.  As you have noticed there are still a few kinks to work out with Axis Boxes to get them to work in Variability Charts like our users expect.

tluck

New Contributor

Jan 31, 2017

Thank you for the information, Tonya.  Sounds like my best bet may be to wait until 13.2 and hope that takes care of it (or at least enables a straightforward solution).

ylee

Occasional Contributor

Nov 16, 2016

Hello Tonya / SAS,

Just tested JMP13.1.0 (latest version from Check Update) but the missing x-axis label is still there.  Any idea when we should expect JMP13.2 and its full fix?

Thank you.

Untitled.png

tonya_mauldin0

Jan 21, 2015

This should not be an issue in 13.2.  JMP 13.2 is due to be released by the end of this month.  Keep an eye on the Community as announcements will be posted when 13.2 is available.  You can also set JMP to check for updates weekly (or even daily) and you will be among the first to know.