cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
afterword
Level IV

JMP 11 Mac vs. Windows vs. Parallels

My PC is about to bite the dust, and our office is increasingly mac-centric.  Before I make that leap, I wanted to get some insight on JMP for Mac vs. PC.

According to , JMP 9 for Mac lacked:

- Menu customization

- Database connect by JSL (maybe this is a MacOS problem, not JSL )

Have these been updated for JMP11?

There's a significant fee for changing from the PC to the Mac annual license (nearly doubles the price), so I don't want to switch over only to lose features.

I'm also curious about running JMP on a Windows partition/emulator like Parallels or Wine from within MacOS.  Has anyone tried that?  How does it work?

3 REPLIES 3
reeza
Level III

Re: JMP 11 Mac vs. Windows vs. Wine

I run software, not JMP specifically, on my Mac using VMWARE instead. I use SAS and Tableau on it and haven't had any issues.

I do like the fact that I can switch desktops with a single command which I think is now a Windows Feature as well, but it makes it cleaner to develop I find.

louv
Staff (Retired)

Re: JMP 11 Mac vs. Windows vs. Parallels

I run JMP with Parallels on my Mac all the time. No problem.

tomparker
Level II

Re: JMP 11 Mac vs. Windows vs. Parallels

I run JMPPro 11 on the MAC under OS10.8 and JMP Clinical on Windows 7 in Parallels in the same MAC. I am very satisfied with the performance of both. ODBC drivers are available for MySQL at the Oracle website for download. Some skill with the Unix terminal windows is required to install these. There are technical discussions of ODBC driver installations for the MAC on the R user forums. Commercial ODBC drivers are also available. For ease of use, we purchased the Actual for MySQL, PostgreSQL and SQLite from Actual Technologies ($34.95 for 1 seat). Easy to install and usually up to date with new versions of OS10. Other than to describe what we do, this is not a recommendation - other sources are available.

Generally, rather than use direct connections to databases, we recommend for our users that they create purpose-specific reports in MySQL or REDCap (MYSQL-based) and we write Pick File scripts to open the report, arrange and format the data, generate any new columns needed for the analysis and insert analyses with JSL scripts rather than import tables directly from the database. But there are times when the ODBC connection is very useful.

Tom Parker