Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Is it Possible to Import Instrument Result Files ( non-standard format)?

d_barnett

Community Trekker

Nov 30, 2011

As part of my standard work I have to use result files generated by instruments, most of these aren't particularly user friendly when trying to get data out from them using the suppliers software. One of the main ones that I use are files from a particle size instrument from Malvern (http://www.malvern.com/en/support/product-support/mastersizer-range/mastersizer-2000/default.aspx) and is an *.mea file.

is it possible to JMP to import all of the data from this and other instrument result files for further analysis within JMP, these don't appear to be supported by JMP and I'm hoping that I can at least get data into JMP for formatting, I have attached an .mea file as an example. Changing settings during import doesn't appear to work and hopefully this type of problem has been encountered by someone before.

Any help or suggestions gratefully received.

David

3 REPLIES
ian_jmp

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

Yes, these instrument files (typically in a binary format) can be tricky. More or less anything is possible, but it comes down to the time, cost and knowledge required to make it happen. Generally, it's much easier for JMP if you can dump the contents into an XML or CSV format, or load them into a relational database.

I'm not sure how this relates the specific model you have:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoxRMLkfA5E

but it might help.

M_Anderson

Staff

Nov 21, 2014

I want to second Ian@JMP​'s comment on this one.  Working in a standard format like the one he listed is probably your most efficient method.  That said, the first step is locating the documentation on the file structure itself.  This document will describe the header structure of the file and where the data actually begins.  If you can locate that file then you've got a shot, but they generally aren't something the vendors like to give up or post on the website. 

d_barnett

Community Trekker

Nov 30, 2011

Ian/ Michael,

thanks for the feedback. I thought that it would be difficult to do and the Malvern website & documentation is of no use at all for this. The annoying thing is that to get the data out at the moment for JMP analysis requires copy & paste from the application into Excel, a bit of formatting then transfer to JMP. This to me implies that there is potential to get the information out, just not in an easy way.

I'll have another look at how this might be done.

Regards and thanks

David