Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Is JMP 12 unable to import xls/xlsx as JMP 11?

saitcopuroglu

Community Trekker

Sep 29, 2014

Being a Mac user is always a disadvantage when it comes to JMP. Finally we now have xlsx import future but it seems to be worse than JMP 11. Mainly I import xls/xlsx files and then join them with other jmp data tables. Hence JMP 12 can not read the column formats (importing all the columns as character) I have to write scripts for each column data type. Better solution is still using JMP 11 for importing. Am i doing something wrong? If yes please let me know if no please developers, do something for exact data type reading capabilities of JMP 12.

JMP 11 xls import:

8560_Screen Shot 2015-04-15 at 14.37.09.png

JMP 12 xlsx import:

8561_Screen Shot 2015-04-15 at 14.36.40.png

6 REPLIES
briancorcoran

Jun 23, 2011

Hello Sait,

If you have character and numeric data mixed in a column, or a lot of missing data, JMP 12 will be more strict about making the column character.  The reason is that we received reports of lost character data when the column was mainly numeric or missing.  Customers were unhappy that any data was lost.

Brian Corcoran

JMP Development

saitcopuroglu

Community Trekker

Sep 29, 2014

Thank you,

What would you recommend this unhappy JMP 12 user?

ms

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

Clean the data in Excel before import. For example remove missing value characters or comments in otherwise numeric  columns. A classic, at least in some of my data sources, is occasional values typed with wrong decimal delimiter (e.g. 18.95 instead of 18,95). And don't forget the last row which may be different by default.

Martin

Community Trekker

Aug 13, 2013

Maybe you should follow my current similar thread here Re: V12 import treatment of missing data.  I am working on a jsl solution.

saitcopuroglu

Community Trekker

Sep 29, 2014

Please let us know if youve come to a solution, I am still suffering

Martin

Community Trekker

Aug 13, 2013

saitcopurogluyou should take a look at my example on the link that I posted above.  It is a demonstration of how to do this.  See if it helps.