Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Internet open from a table with multiple query (drop-down search)

gridge

New Contributor

May 25, 2017

Hello,

I am trying to import data from this website: http://www.naturalheritage.state.pa.us/Species.aspx into JMP but would only like the Plant data for all of PA. When I try internet open I only get a table with the data from the first category in the drop-down search (Reptiles & Amphibians). Is there a way to get the plant data table?Picture1.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
pmroz

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

Solution

Poor man's solution: select all of the data in the Plants table on the website.  Had to start the selection from the bottom, selecting in an upward direction until all table cells were highlighted.  Couldn't get the column headers swiping down.  Hit CTRL-C.  Open a new JMP table and click on Edit > Paste With Column Names.

Plants.png

5 REPLIES
briancorcoran

Jun 23, 2011

Are you using File->Internet Open and specifying "Data" as the type in the drop down, not Web Page?  It should present a dialog with three tables.  If you import them, you should have one with plants (the images do not import).

Brian Corcoran

JMP Development

Plant TablePlant Table

briancorcoran

Jun 23, 2011

I should have also mentioned that if you run the "Load pictures..." table script the thumbnails will be imported.

gridge

New Contributor

May 25, 2017

Hi Brian,

Look at your table though, it just has the reptiles and amphibians. The plant list should at least have a couple hundred entries.

briancorcoran

Jun 23, 2011

Sorry about that.  I should have examined the results closer.  The plant table is a dynamic table that is populated after specifying a dropdown item.  Since it does not have a dedicated, static link, it probably will not be possible to obtain from this site at least.

Brian

pmroz

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

Solution

Poor man's solution: select all of the data in the Plants table on the website.  Had to start the selection from the bottom, selecting in an upward direction until all table cells were highlighted.  Couldn't get the column headers swiping down.  Hit CTRL-C.  Open a new JMP table and click on Edit > Paste With Column Names.

Plants.png