Share your ideas for the JMP Scripting Unsession at Discovery Summit by September 17th. We hope to see you there!
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
Jess
Level I

Inserting reports

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to insert a Word or Powerpoint document into a JMP file?  Appreciate any advice.

Best regards,

Jess

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
txnelson
Super User

Re: Inserting reports

Some questions.....

"into a JMP file"......a JMP Data Table?  The display output from a JMP Platform(i.e. Fit by Y, Distribution, etc.).  Into a JMP Journal?  Into a JMP Project?

What do you mean by "Insert".  You want the PowerPoint slides or Word Document to be showing in the JMP file?  Or do you want to have a field that you can link to those documents?

Jim
Highlighted
Jess
Level I

It would be helpful to link (or imbed) reports to data table.  The reports may be in the format of powerpoint, word or pdf. 

Highlighted
andersonmj2
Level IV

You can insert all sorts of files and file types into a JMP Project - I use that all the time, and it keeps things organized and launches files in their respective apps.

However, there isn't a utility to insert an arbitrary file into a cell and have JMP pass to the OS to launch the host program, although the 'event handler' function might get at least somewhat close (i.e. you could insert the file address into the cell).
Highlighted
txnelson
Super User

I will push back a little against @andersonmj2's response.  I believe that you can construct a script within the Column Property, Event Handler that can open up Word or PPT files.  Now, since JMP is column based, as apposed to Excel, which is cell based, there has to be an identifier in the value of the cell that can allow the Event Handler script to decern which Word or PPT to open.

Additionally, there is the ability to add as many scripts as desired into the data table in general, which can open virtually any type of file, or run programs.  These are data table based, not column or cell based, so you have the ability to have either table wide, or column/cell based links.

Jim
Highlighted

To pile on to @andersonmj2's reply, in JMP 14, JMP Projects has been completely redesigned from prior versions of JMP...so if you are someone NOT running JMP 14...this new JMP Projects deployment should be very exciting. I (truth be told as a JMP systems engineer) demonstrate this capability to many existing as well as prospective JMP users...and they break into big smiles with the JMP 14 version of Projects.

Here's a link to a Mastering JMP On Demand webinar hosted by my colleague Chris Kirchberg:

https://www.jmp.com/en_us/events/ondemand/mastering-jmp/organizing-work-using-projects.html

Highlighted
gzmorgan0
Super User

If you have JMP 14, here is an example JMP Table, that uses the new column property 

Event Handler({thisTable, thisColumn, thisRow), script ) 

The attached data table has two columns, both have a an event handler column property. This is an application of what Jim was suggesting.

Highlighted
andersonmj2
Level IV

Thanks - that is exactly what I was thinking, appreciate you putting something together to demonstrate! This is actually very useful and I have been planning to start pushing people to use when it makes sense.
Highlighted
Jess
Level I

Hi,

This is very nice.  I didn't know about Event Handler.  Thank you for your reply.  

I am still struggling on how to enter the files into the columns.  Any suggestions?  

Highlighted
txnelson
Super User

I need more information about where the file names are. If they are all located in a folder, you can use
x = Files in Directory(<path to directory>)
to retrieve all of the files found in a directory, and place them into a JSL List
Jim
Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.