cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
lyz6
Level I

In JMP, how do you adjust the parameterization of categorical variables in a regression model?

In JMP, how to adjust the encoding of categorical variables in a regression model?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jiancao
Staff

Re: In JMP, how to adjust the encoding of categorical variables in a regression model?

Creating dummy variables is one approach. But if your model is standard least squares, there is an option called Indicator Parameterization Estimates that does just that.

11876_pastedImage_2.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Peter_Bartell
Level VIII

Re: In JMP, how to adjust the encoding of categorical variables in a regression model?

lyz6: Can you perhaps provide an example of what you mean by adjusting encoding of categorical variables in a regression model? It's not clear to me what you are trying to accomplish.

shoffmeister
Level V

As far as I know, if you want to use dummy-coding instead of effect-coding in your models you will have to create the dummy-variables manually.

In most recent versions of JMP you can do so by "Cols=>Utilities=>Make Indicator Columns". Then use the dummy-variables as factors in your model (of course you should only use all but one).

Hope that helps.

ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

jiancao
Staff

Creating dummy variables is one approach. But if your model is standard least squares, there is an option called Indicator Parameterization Estimates that does just that.

11876_pastedImage_2.png