Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

In Custom Design DOE, how do I disallow factor levels related to season?

paul_h_anderson

Community Trekker

Jan 21, 2015

Say I’m going to test across both cold and warm weather. There are certain factors and levels that I cannot test during a particular season. Other factors and levels that I have no interest in testing during a particular season (but it would not damage anything). Assume I can estimate cold season as being the first half of my test, how do I control the design? I don’t think I can set season as a blocking factor, as JMP doesn’t let me disallow factor-levels where design . has blocking. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
louv

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

Solution

Paul,

Perhaps you have two designs to perform. One process where the design examines cold weather and one design that investigates warm weather. I only suggest this since I am not sure you can truly randomize the experiment and even if you  make season a "hard to change" factor using a split-plot could take some time to cycle through the cold and warm seasons?

The disallowed combinations can be handled quite elegantly coming in JMP 12:)

Lou V

2 REPLIES
louv

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

Solution

Paul,

Perhaps you have two designs to perform. One process where the design examines cold weather and one design that investigates warm weather. I only suggest this since I am not sure you can truly randomize the experiment and even if you  make season a "hard to change" factor using a split-plot could take some time to cycle through the cold and warm seasons?

The disallowed combinations can be handled quite elegantly coming in JMP 12:)

Lou V

paul_h_anderson

Community Trekker

Jan 21, 2015

Thanks for response LouV.

I tried setting up 1st half of test with all factors, no season as blocking factor. Then I augmented the design for 2nd half with adding disallow factors, making sure not to check blocking. It SEEMS to have worked.

Cheers!