Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
AU
AU
Level III

Importing Excel into JMP - Concat Excel Not Transferring Over

Hi there - I'm using the Import function on JMP to import an excel into JMP (because I will be updating the excel file and want the JMP file to update).

I have a few =concat() functions in the excel file, and whenever I import into JMP via wizard, in JMP it shows up as #NAME? for every cell that has the concat function, rather than displaying the actual value as it does in excel.

What is the workaround so that I can make it show the actual value? Thank you!!!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Importing Excel into JMP - Concat Excel Not Transferring Over

What I have found, is that if one opens the .xlsx version of the Excel, directly into JMP, the cells with =concat() values in them are read in as a missing value.

If one uses the Excel JMP addin, the =concat() cells are transferred into JMP correctly.

If one copy/paste from Excel to JMP, the data are input correctly.

If the Excel spreadsheet is saved to a .csv format, and then the .csv is opened directly into JMP, the =concat() cells are correctly 

I suggest that you use one of the alternative approaches that properly read in the =concat() cells as your workaround.

Jim

View solution in original post

Georg
Level VII

Perhaps you also may look at the full process, seems that the cells with "concat" are redundant information. Concat can also be done in JMP, so you could import only neccessary data. Processes spread over different tools tend to be fragile, import from Excel is specifically fragile, as it depends on so much parameters. And anyone may change one of these at some time in an Excel-File.

Georg

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
txnelson
Super User

What I have found, is that if one opens the .xlsx version of the Excel, directly into JMP, the cells with =concat() values in them are read in as a missing value.

If one uses the Excel JMP addin, the =concat() cells are transferred into JMP correctly.

If one copy/paste from Excel to JMP, the data are input correctly.

If the Excel spreadsheet is saved to a .csv format, and then the .csv is opened directly into JMP, the =concat() cells are correctly 

I suggest that you use one of the alternative approaches that properly read in the =concat() cells as your workaround.

Jim
Georg
Level VII

Perhaps you also may look at the full process, seems that the cells with "concat" are redundant information. Concat can also be done in JMP, so you could import only neccessary data. Processes spread over different tools tend to be fragile, import from Excel is specifically fragile, as it depends on so much parameters. And anyone may change one of these at some time in an Excel-File.

Georg
AU
AU
Level III

Thanks for your reply! The concat cells use information "inputs" from another tab in the Excel sheet so in theory the information it is pulling is not available elsewhere in that specific sheet.

I appreciate you highlighting the fragility of linking methods like import from Excel. Even moving the Excel file or renaming it can cause the link to break - perhaps that is what you are referring to. Good thing to keep in mind for long-term use of linking methods.

AU
AU
Level III

Thanks! Typically I use the Excel JMP addin, though I am looking for ways to make a JMP file that can be easily updated when there are updates to the Excel file. Hence the import wizard. Perhaps need to give up and go back to using the JMP addin.

It's interesting to learn that the =concat() is read as a missing value. Are there any other formulas for which this happens?

Edit: sorry I didn't mean to hit "accept as solution" on this -- this is not one of the solutions solution!