BookmarkSubscribe
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
kom
kom
New Contributor

IR Chart - 2 simple queries?

Hi all,

These may seem like 2 simple queries, but I find myself scratching my head; not being a 'coder' doesn't help, but I can usually fumble/bluff my way through most code.

1) I need to create a simple IR Chart (JMP 14) that will allow for the automatic recalculation & display of updated Control Limits upon the addition of new datapoints to the existing data table. At present, adding new data to the response column will display the new datapoints on the IR Chart, but the Control Limits remain static and only change if you redo the analysis. I need to keep this as simple as possible for the operators entering the data. If my only option is to hit the 'redo analysis' button or run a script, then so be it, but I'd rather avoid if possible.

2) Also, would anyone know if there is an option anywhere to specify the last (say) 50 datapoints ONLY on the Control Chart, regardless of the overall size of the number of datapoints in the response column? So, maybe 2000 datapoints in the column, IR Chart generates Control Limits based on 2000 datapoints, but only displays the last 50 in the IR Chart.

Any help would be more than appreciated.

Thanks,

Kieran

0 Kudos
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: IR Chart - 2 simple queries?

A quick question that may indicate why the control limits are not being automatically recalculated: are you using the Control Chart Builder? Or are you using the Control Chart > IR menu choice? Control Chart builder will behave the way you want. The "legacy" IR chart will not.

Dan Obermiller
Byron_JMP
Staff

RE: Question 2

Yes!  

https://community.jmp.com/t5/Byron-Wingerd-s-Blog/Control-Charts-with-a-Relative-X-Axis-Scale/ba-p/3...

... its pretty easy to set up.

JMP Systems Engineer, Pharm and BioPharm Sciences
7 REPLIES 7

1. I just tested JMP and as always, it automatically updates both the chart and the limits when a new observation (sub-group) is added to the data table. Did you save the limits? If so, then JMP assumes that you want to use the historical limits instead.
  2. You could create a column formula to count backward so that row 1 = N and row N = 1. Then apply a data filter from the Rows menu. All platforms respect the changes in the row states.
Learn it once, use it forever!
kom
kom
New Contributor

Hi Mark. Many thanks for taking the time to respond. You say that JMP udates both the chart & the limits when a new observation is added.

If I enter the following 5 datapoints: 5,3,2,4,5 into a single column and I run an IR Chart, I get a Mean of 3.8 & UCL of 7.79 on my IR Chart.

If I add another observation to the data table (say): 10, the datapoint is added to the graphic and is displayed as an outlier, but my Mean & UCL certainly don't automatically change from the figures above. These will only change (to Mean of 4.8 & UCL of 10.68) if I re-run the analysis, at which point the graphic also changes and the datapoint of 10 (rightly) no longer becomes an outlier. Can you confirm that your Control limits automatically change for you?

On displaying only the last X datapoints, I will definitely explore your suggestion a bit more.

Thanks,

Kieran

0 Kudos

A quick question that may indicate why the control limits are not being automatically recalculated: are you using the Control Chart Builder? Or are you using the Control Chart > IR menu choice? Control Chart builder will behave the way you want. The "legacy" IR chart will not.

Dan Obermiller
kom
kom
New Contributor

Hi Dan. You are absolutely correct on this. I've never used Control Chart Builder, but it is behaving exactly the way I want.
Many thanks for taking the time to respond.
Regards,
Kieran
0 Kudos
Byron_JMP
Staff

RE: Question 2

Yes!  

https://community.jmp.com/t5/Byron-Wingerd-s-Blog/Control-Charts-with-a-Relative-X-Axis-Scale/ba-p/3...

... its pretty easy to set up.

kom
kom
New Contributor

Hi Byron,
This is exactly what I was looking for! Many thanks for taking the time to respond.
Regards,
Kieran
0 Kudos
Byron_JMP
Staff

That would be a convenient thing to have as an option in the control chart platform, you should suggest it as a feature in the JMP Wish List.

0 Kudos