BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
mpg

Community Trekker

Oct 5, 2014

Re: How would you improve the Formula Editor?

1) When I was first learning JSL I would use the formula editor to guide some of my script, would have been nice to have a "save formula script to script window" option.

2) If a task can be accomplished by more than one function, after the user creates one version, could JMP recommend alternatives?

Hegedus

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

One of the most useful functions, I find is "Match" and ability to auto populate with values in a column is great.  It usually takes 4-5 tries to get the exact sequence of keystrokes with correct modifiers to work.  I would love to see that one made a bit easier.

shoffmeister

Community Trekker

Mar 27, 2015

I guess it's more a power-user thing, but I struggle from time to time with some functions that use multiple arguments but the arguments are not named.

Example:

Using the "word" function in the "character"-section there are the names of the arguments displayed in gray inside the boxes (n and text).

10985_word.PNG

This is not the case for the "substitute" function.

10986_substitute.PNG

It would be great if all functions displayed the argument names.

shoffmeister

Community Trekker

Mar 27, 2015

Another thing: Whenever I need to calculate the square of something I intuitively press the "^"-button on my keyboard.

The formula editor automatically makes this out of it: (:X ^ 2) ^ 2

My expectation would be :X^2 only.

And yes: I am pressing the "^"-key only once ;-)

Jeff_Perkinson

Community Manager

Jun 23, 2011

That does sound like it would be annoying, however, I'm unable to reproduce that behavior. It happens every time?

Is anyone else seeing that?

-Jeff

-Jeff
shoffmeister

Community Trekker

Mar 27, 2015

Hi Jeff,

it is constantly happening on my system. But it might be due to my setup (using Windows 7 in paralells on a Mac).

Sebastian

ron_horne

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

i get the same using Jmp11

11012_substitute.png

msharp

Super User

Jul 28, 2015

I can't replicate the "^" effect either.  I only get X^2.

edzard_van_sant

Community Trekker

Jun 4, 2014

1. First of all, making the default formula user interface larger would be a big step. I don't believe that size hasn't changed since ancient times even though nowadays screens are larger and/or have a much higher resolution.

2. I really like the suggestions of having JMP assemble the formula from individual columns. I usually have student test individual components of a larger formula before assembling the final product.

3. Give the user the option in preferences to select function groups he/she most often uses.That would cut down on the clutter. In the process of creating that capability you could create more function groups. For teaching it would really help if students didn't have to wade through the muck of 100+ functions to get to the one they really need.

ajbalak

Community Trekker

Jun 6, 2014

I'm not yet a regular user, so this may already be available. I wish there was some kind of hotkey to launch the formula editor. Say, select the column and hit '='. I've always found the 2-3 mouse clicks it takes to get to the formula editor slightly annoying.