Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

How would you improve the Formula Editor?

Jeff_Perkinson

Community Manager

Jun 23, 2011

10940_JMPScreenSnapz001.png

We're working on some improvements to the Formula Editor and we want your input.

What do you like about the Formula Editor and wouldn't want to see changed?

What bothers you?

What parts do you use most often?

What confused you the first time you used it?

What would make it more efficient?

How often do you double-click the formula and type the formula by hand?

We want your feedback regardless of how long you've used JMP. Whether you're a first-time user or longtime JMP jockey, your opinion is valuable.

Post your replies here. Please be as detailed as possible.

Thanks!

-Jeff

-Jeff
49 REPLIES
pmroz

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

Some of my formulas are too complex, so I double-click on the window and type the formula in by hand.  Initially the window we're given to enter a formula in is too small, and the font is too small as well.  (Must be getting old).  I would suggest making it bigger.

ron_horne

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

some tables have a long list of variables. it would be nice to have the Filter Col Selector in hand when generating a formula. This feature is available in the distribution and the fit Y by X platform and is very useful.

By the way, it would be good to add it to the fit model platform and actually any platform.

bfoulkes

Community Trekker

Oct 8, 2014

add in an autofill for the column or function names.  it can be a pain to keep scrolling to find the right column, and typing it can be tough if you forget how it is spelled.  It would be nice if there was a feature that would autofill the possible columns or functions based on what you typed.  Sort of like what Google does with autofilling a search, except the only possibilities are the column headings or function names.

vince_faller

Super User

Mar 17, 2015

Using Parameter() in formula editor for nonlinear modeling.

If you try to edit parameters by hand after the formula has been made, you have to go to parameters and right click->edit.  A single left click will replace your whole formula with just that parameter.  Not the end of the world to press ctrl+Z, just a minor annoyance. 

txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

It would be nice if when you double click on the formula to go into editor mode, that a small jsl window, with all of it's functionality popup.

There needs to be a way to access all of the elements of a function without having to go into the editor mode.  An example of this is the Worrd() function.  The delimiter element has to be manually added.

when selecting a function, there should be a button beside each function that when clicked goes directly to the Scripting Index help for that function

There needs to be more space between the elements in the picture version of the formula, so that selecting of the different elements within the formula isn't sooooooo difficult

translator from Excel functions to jmp functions.

I use the manual editor a lot

Jim
pmroz

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

Building on Jim's thoughts - how about if the JSL editor does more auto-completion of built-in functions, like you get in Visual Studio or when entering an Excel formula?

jkwiggins

Community Trekker

Sep 24, 2014

I was thinking something very similar Jim!  Sometimes formula get complex and messy in the formula editor.  I often write a script in these cases because it is just easier for me to see what I am doing. 

Maybe you could call formula editor formula builder (like the other interactive builders -sql, graph) and have an entirely different option for formula script

laural_

Community Trekker

May 15, 2014

When building long and complex formulas (with 2000+ terms), I start with multiple intermediate columns with formulas.  In this case it would be extremely helpful to do a wholesale replace of the column reference with the formula in that column in the formula editor window. In other words, I am suggesting you give the ability to collapse sequential formula columns into a single column. 

I often use the feature of copy and pasting formulas between a script window and the formula editor.

Laura
kevin_c_anderso

Community Trekker

Jun 5, 2014

Please please please add the Robust Mean and Robust Standard Deviation functions to the Formula Editor and to available JSL functions!