cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
thana
Level II

How to zoom fit to density ellipse in Bivariate plot.

without manully adjust the axis it is plotted like this

thana_2-1608867551803.png

but this is what I want 

thana_3-1608867583979.png

is there anyway to calculate the max,min value to use as X,Y axis ?

please help...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: How to zoom fit to density ellipse in Bivariate plot.

The platform does not have an option to zoom to the ellipse.

The platform does display some stats you might be able to use, but I'm the wrong person to tell you how to get from these numbers...

Capture.PNG

...to a tight zoom about the ellipse. If it just needs to be good enough, you can probably do it with a couple of experiments. You can write JSL to grab the high-lighted numbers from the report and set the axis range. I think you might not need the correlation, just the two std deviation values, scaled somehow, and added/subtracted from the mean values.

If you want to write some JSL, take a look at Ellipse . It shows how to compute the ellipse.

Craige

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

A quick and effective alternative to adjusting the individual axis is to select Tools > Magnifier. It works two ways: click or drag. Click a location in the plot that you want to be the new center of the plot. Both axes also simultaneously change for a zoom into the plot when you click. You can alternatively drag in the plot with the Magnifier tool. This way defines the new plotting frame. JMP will adjust the axes accordingly.

See this explanation of the Zoom tool.

thana
Level II

Thank you for your reply
I forgot to mention that I want this effect as jsl script not by manually clicking.
is there any option ?
Craige_Hales
Super User

The platform does not have an option to zoom to the ellipse.

The platform does display some stats you might be able to use, but I'm the wrong person to tell you how to get from these numbers...

Capture.PNG

...to a tight zoom about the ellipse. If it just needs to be good enough, you can probably do it with a couple of experiments. You can write JSL to grab the high-lighted numbers from the report and set the axis range. I think you might not need the correlation, just the two std deviation values, scaled somehow, and added/subtracted from the mean values.

If you want to write some JSL, take a look at Ellipse . It shows how to compute the ellipse.

Craige
thana
Level II

Great!
I tried to get that Mean Value and then manipulate add/subtract with 3 x Std Dev and set this value to axis Min and Max this trick manage to get me to the desired result.
Thank you Craige