cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

How to split a column cells into different columns

Not sure how I can split a column of cells into different columns. For example I have this ONE column with both First and Last names as one cell

Name
1 Lee, Bob
2 Miller, Mike
3 Smith, Jack

Not split this one column into Two columns, one of First, and second column of Last

Last First
1 Lee Bob
2 Miller Mike
3 Smith Jack
12 REPLIES 12

Re: How to split a column cells into different columns

If you're using JMP 12 or later you can use Cols -> Utilities -> Text to Columns.

12569_JMPScreenSnapz034.png

If you're using JMP 11 or earlier you can get the add-in, Text to Columns, Version 2​, which does the same thing as the now, built-in function.

If you want to do this by hand, either with JSL or the Formula Editor, you'll find the Word() function handy, as described by thechadd

Last Name: Word( 1, :Name, ", " )
First Name: Word( 2, :Name, ", " )

12570_JMPScreenSnapz035.png

ENTHU
Level IV

Looking for an extension of Text to Columns/Word function.I have a path in a column -

Z:\abc\def\foldername\filefolder\filename.

I need to extract 3 things from this path -

1.foldername

2.Path until file folder

3.file name

I am basically getting this data from data base.Need to post process it and fill an excel template.

I tried text to columns;going through multiple iterations will get me there but its very inefficient.

Looking for recommendation.

Thanks

txnelson
Super User

Take a look at the Word() function and the Substr() function. And you could also use a regular expression with Regex() function
Jim